Taxandria Juniperina - Western Australia

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Taxandria Juniperina - Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

These trees grow everywhere in the wetland directly across the road from my house. Tiny leaves+flowers, heavily fissured mature bark, and naturally growing in all kinds of gnarly contorted shapes, has always interested me in their suitability for bonsai cultivation.

Around two years ago i dug a couple of little seedlings out of the roadside gutter growing in gravel and sand. They have started to become quite vigorous this year and are now out of the original plain sand i dug them with and in my development mix.

So at this point i've managed to keep them alive and healthy but have no idea how they will respond to bonsai practices. They have both had a prune a year ago to encourage more growth lower down which worked with a lot of back budding. I'm looking forward to more experimenting! Image

Anyone else had a crack at these for bonsai?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk

Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Taxandria Juniperina - Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

An update on these two. Nothing to write home about at this stage, but I'm starting to invest more time and interest in these. They have been somewhat neglected, becoming very root bound and not having much thought to styling thus far. I will get them root pruned and re potted soon to give them more room to grow. This wire will be coming off very soon also as they swell and it bites in very quickly when they are growing this vigorously.

#1 after a prune and wire applied Jan 2023

#1 growth today Feb 2023

#1 branch structure started from underneath

#1 lower branch structure from above

#2 front hasn't been selected yet

#2 different angle

#2 different angle

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk

Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

The trunks have thickened up very nicely so far. They're looking very promising for bonsai use. Always good to see someone experimenting with another Aussie Native with potential. I do enjoy smaller Aussie bonsai and these small leaves certainly make that a bit easier. What vision do you have for them?

I'd reduce the height of the first one if you're going to keep it as an upright; I think it would look more balanced (just my :2c: worth).

I'm trying a Verticordia plumosa, or the Plumed Featherflower, from WA - saw two specimens in the Newcastle Regional Botanic Gardens. Plants were hard to source over east, best I could do was tube stock, but you've got to start somewhere.

I look forward to seeing where you go with these, and to your pot choices.

Jan.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Bags of potential with these Patmet ,enjoying the trip and looking forward to the updates. Keep up the great work . Cheers John .
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Jan wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:05 pm The trunks have thickened up very nicely so far. They're looking very promising for bonsai use. Always good to see someone experimenting with another Aussie Native with potential. I do enjoy smaller Aussie bonsai and these small leaves certainly make that a bit easier. What vision do you have for them?

I'd reduce the height of the first one if you're going to keep it as an upright; I think it would look more balanced (just my :2c: worth).

I'm trying a Verticordia plumosa, or the Plumed Featherflower, from WA - saw two specimens in the Newcastle Regional Botanic Gardens. Plants were hard to source over east, best I could do was tube stock, but you've got to start somewhere.

I look forward to seeing where you go with these, and to your pot choices.

Jan.
Thank you. I do intend on bringing the height back down in the future. My current game plan at this point with the first one is to grow the leader out for a while to let that upper section gain some more thickness and movement. While this is growing I will keep playing it by ear and working with what the tree gives me, potentially replacing with a new leader again. I also want the lower trunk a bit thicker. I suppose I'm also keeping the option open to make it a slightly bigger tree as well because I'm a little concerned with how vigorous this species is, that it might be difficult to manage the growth at too small a scale. Might not be the case, but it's something I'm thinking about.

I hope you can have success with that species, it would be spectacular as bonsai. I have found that almost all of the local WA species I am trialling I have had to start from tubestock. I like starting from there though it leaves endless possibility.

Cheers, Patrick.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Well it's been a year since the last update on these. They have since been repotted into terracotta wide shallower pots.

I cut one back today and applied some guy wires. I'm trying to use clip and grow + guy wires as much as I can, as the wire bites in super quick and the branches are very brittle once they harden off. I will need to do some wiring though in the near future to position things a bit better.

The focus at this stage is to keep the lower branches pruned back hard to get some ramification happening a bit closer in. The top half needs to grow out a bit more to keep developing and complete the overall tree.
20240310_125613_1.jpg
Before
20240310_154614_1.jpg
After. As it sits in the current pot.
20240310_155054_1.jpg
With some forward and side tilt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raniformis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Raniformis »

Your tree looks good mate, from lush and green to old and raggedy, I'd be happy with that in a smaller pot.

Return to “Australian Native Species”