Woolly Bush (Adenanthos)

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Woolly Bush (Adenanthos)

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Patmet wrote: December 11th, 2023, 8:52 am
Mickeyjaytee wrote: December 10th, 2023, 10:39 pm
Thanks again Pat, I really appreciate it. The humble woolly bush is underrated and underused imo!

Thanks for your updates and looking forward to more.

Cheers mate 👍🏼
It sure is. I think it has huge potential to be a keystone bonsai species for us in WA.

No worries mate, happy to share what I know. The more we share our experiences, we can all learn from each other and advance our bonsai practices faster.

Just one important side note I will add that I forgot to include above - Be sure to only do root work and repotting on your woolly bush when it is in an actively growing state, and don't remove foliage at the same time as repotting. If it has too much growth, prune it back first, then give the tree time to recover and start elongating again before you repot and work the roots. See my photos in this thread as an example. :yes:
I definitely agree. I’ve learnt so much solely on the forums. It’s great especially to see new species and updates on development. I definitely need to to pop in to the bonsai society again.

I’m trialling a few WA species which I will definitely post if I have some success. I’m always very interested in your development threads especially on WA natives. There just aren’t enough people exploring them! We have so many great potential bonsai trees/plants.

I will keep that in mind. I did do some pruning on one with root work yesterday 🤦🏼‍♂️ hopefully it lives. It’s going to be a nervous wait.

Thanks again for all the info and for sharing it!
Mickey
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: Woolly Bush (Adenanthos)

Post by Patmet »

This has had a good amount of growth since December, so this week I have given it a hard trim and clean out. There are quite a lot of branches now so I spent hours over the course of several nights getting it done.

It currently has no wire on, but I want to go through and wire a lot of the branches again to tweak the positioning a bit.
20240219_201209_1.jpg
Before work
20240220_200855_1.jpg
During
20240222_175237_1.jpg
After
20240222_175934_1.jpg
20240222_180007_1.jpg
20240222_175947_1.jpg
20240222_180032_1.jpg
20240222_175656_1.jpg
Blending into background natural woolly bushes 😆
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Australian Native Species”