How to grow native pre-bonsai?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: How to grow native pre-bonsai?

Post by KIRKY »

If you’re after the 200mm orchid pot, try https://statementplants.com.au/products ... orchid-pot.
A bit cheaper.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

KIRKY wrote: January 30th, 2023, 11:07 am If you’re after the 200mm orchid pot, try https://statementplants.com.au/products ... orchid-pot.
A bit cheaper.
Cheers
Kirky
or go straight to the manufacturers website https://www.theorchidpotco.com
Not sure how much delivery to WA would be. One of your local clubs may have get them in bulk
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I know this was a fair way back in the thread, but Mickey mentioned a you tube video for slip potting. DO NOT EVER do this. The tree he slip potted was very root bound and all that he is achieving is a more difficult root reduction in the future. As Rory mentioned, it is a practice in the nursery trade for landscaped plants and can produce horrific root systems that cannot be corrected.

The only time slip potting is of use is when you have done root work from the meddling stage and pot it up to a slightly larger size as soon as the roots start to touch the side of the pot. The likely hood of you timing that perfectly over a number of years is slightly above zero. It can produce a large trunk very quickly, but it is far better to follow Treemans method. You may slow thickening slightly, but you will have great roots and an awesome start to a great tree.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Only times I recall truely slip potting (ie no root work at all) has been the couple of times I’ve under potted trees and found myself unable to manage the watering. In those cases in summer I’ve slipped them into bigger pots.

Also the now 62 year old Japanese Maple rebuild tree when I first got it and it was seriously unhealthy with waterlogged media; I cleaned all the old soil out but didn’t prune any roots

Outside of those scenarios I look forward to my chance to properly root prune trees, and advise everyone to see it as a fantastic opportunity to make probably the biggest single improvement to their trees each time
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

dansai wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:28 pm I know this was a fair way back in the thread, but Mickey mentioned a you tube video for slip potting. DO NOT EVER do this. The tree he slip potted was very root bound and all that he is achieving is a more difficult root reduction in the future. As Rory mentioned, it is a practice in the nursery trade for landscaped plants and can produce horrific root systems that cannot be corrected.

The only time slip potting is of use is when you have done root work from the meddling stage and pot it up to a slightly larger size as soon as the roots start to touch the side of the pot. The likely hood of you timing that perfectly over a number of years is slightly above zero. It can produce a large trunk very quickly, but it is far better to follow Treemans method. You may slow thickening slightly, but you will have great roots and an awesome start to a great tree.
Thanks for this post! Geez these guys come across as pros and I’ve been following along thinking this was the correct method 🤦🏼‍♂️ certainly pays to get second opinions! Really glad I found out sooner rather than later 👍🏼
Mickey
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mickey,
When the roots have been pruned and spread out I put a centimeter or two of potting mix on the CD and put the tree on that before covering the roots with potting mix. Simples! Don't overthink it. :tu:
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Raging Bull wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:39 pm Hi Mickey,
When the roots have been pruned and spread out I put a centimeter or two of potting mix on the CD and put the tree on that before covering the roots with potting mix. Simples! Don't overthink it. :tu:
Awesome, thanks mate, I appreciate it! I better get planting!
Mickey

Return to “Australian Native Species”