New Beginner

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Bonsaigurl
Bonsai Age: 20

New Beginner

Post by Bonsaigurl »

Hi Guys,

I'm a greenie, a very new beginner. Would you recommend native plants if I've never done a bonsai before?

Thank you
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: New Beginner

Post by dansai »

Yes. Many native plants make great Bonsai subjects and have easy care.

A few I grow that respond very well to usually Bonsai techniques like wiring, pruning and repotting are listed below in ease of care;

Ficus varieties - Ficus rubiginosa probably the most reliable in its response

Watergum - Tistaniopsis laurina - one of my favourites

Lilly Pilly's - Theres a wide range and most cultivars can be heavily pruned, wired and have hard root reduction

Callistemon - as per above

Melaleuca - as per above. Some better than others

Banksia integrifolia - can be cut hard, wired when branches are young and easily forms fine roots

Leptospermums - some don't respond as well to hard cutbacks and root removal, but some do

The biggest issue I have found over the years is that a lot of Nursery stock has had very poor root care done when potting on so there can be a horrible tangle of roots that are almost impossible to correct when you get older more established stock. I usually get younger material now and work the roots before any other work. That way im not wasting time styling a tree that has sub par roots that may not survive repotting.

The above mentioned plants can usually have severe root work done and survive, with ficus being the most easy and some Leptospermums being a bit trickier.

Biggest thing is to give it a try and don't give up if you have failures. Always feel free to ask questions and don't be put off by people telling you can't, or that you have done something wrong
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Also put a location in your profile. It will help future advice regarding timing, species you can grow, etc.

For example, if you live in Tassie I wouldn't recommend Figs, or if your in WA you will different species available. Not all Natives require the same care.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Would recommend you callestemone and Paperbark trees. Eucs are hardwork and finicky in my experience. Also I feel repotting is done during active growth just after new leaves harden off not when Dormant.
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

I second Dansai's suggestion of Melaleucas :tu: The Claret Tops and Little Red varieties commonly available are tough and quick to respond. I have even seen them as cheap as $3 clearance stock, although $20+ is typical.

After a 75% root cutting they usually lose all leaves, and show new buds after 2 weeks. Because they grow quickly we can see the consequences of our actions sooner. Their leaves are soft to touch. Generally pest free. On the downside the foliage is very upward.
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Welcome! Join a club, other growers can get you through the early stumbles more easily. The shows that clubs put on will show you what the species can look like as bonsai.

Leptospermum, Kunzea, Baeckea, Sannantha - different species depending on where you are. If you are inexperienced, get local help or take things gently to start with. Cutting about 1/3 of the roots around this time of year in most places for most species should be OK. Don't cut back past the green leaves, grow them wild for the first season, then cut out the boring bits! Starting with tube stock may seem slow, but what happens from there is entirely up to you, you aren't trying to fix stuff that happened at random as trees grew in the nursery.

Melaleucas/Callistemons are usually robust, but get the species that grow into trees with solid trunks - the weedy shrubby types can be more trouble than they are worth.

I find Eucs easy, and Banksia and Grevilleas close to impossible - other people, just the opposite! The moral of the story is: try the species that you like, that are local, have small leaves, and that are strong to begin with! What growers in your area have posted on AusBonsai is often quite a good guide to what will go well.

Good luck, and have fun!

Gavin

Return to “Australian Native Species”