Natives for removal

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Natives for removal

Post by Mitch_28 »

I was wondering when the best time would be to dig up a couple of small callistemons that have self propagated in my garden. Might as well see if I can turn them into something as they're in the wrong spot anyway.
Also have a larger gum species which has also self propagated I want to remove. I've run a spade around this one to encourage new feeder roots and hopefully make it easier to remove later on.
Located south of Sydney
Cheers

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Natives for removal

Post by GavinG »

Callistemons are fine to dig now, they're not all that particular. I would tend to dig the Euc when the weather starts to get hot - late Nov, Dec, - I don't seem to have problems with root work then. Be warned that if the Euc has been growing in the ground for a while, it may only have one or two thick roots that go a Long Way Down - good survival for the Euc in place, not good to dig. You won't know until you dig it.

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Agree with Gavin. Callistemon can be transplanted all year round in warmer areas like Melbourne and Sydney. Where it is a bit cooler in winter I tend to stick to late spring and summer transplant. Smaller ones transplant much easier but even older callistemon can be moved without too much trouble..
I've had mixed results with Eucs. Again, warmer weather seems to be better. Eucs with a lignotuber can have all the roots cut off and trunk cut at transplant and still survive but you don't need to be that severe. Just saying so you don't think you need to dig huge holes to find feeder roots or keep huge soil balls round the roots at transplant.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

Thanks for the info.
Will hold off with the eucalypt for the time being. All from random seedlings so good to learn on as no hard earned has been outlayed. Cheers

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Return to “Australian Native Species”