Eucy stump

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Eucy stump

Post by MattA »

This is one of the first Eucalypt's I dug when I started getting back into using natives for bonsai 5 years ago. It originally stood upright & after 3 years the new trunks had started to catch up with the base and I was ready to give the tree its first 'styling' cut, repotting at the same time. All went well with budding in all the right places and even more on the exposed lignotuber.

As the growth started to extend, disaster! First the back trunk started to die, then the left hand trunk. As the last trunk started to show signs of decline I woke to find a nice neat hole or 3 in the trunk (a borer of some description), you can see one of the holes in the overhead view. I thought the tree would die entirely but moved it into my shade house & just kept it watered. Over the next 6months the bark on the exposed sections started to crack & peel and I really had given up hope. Then one day i saw a sign of life, a small shoot starting to show just at soil line! Eventually 4 trunks shot from the base and slowly made some growth but was very slow & weak.

During late winter I noticed a slight decline in the colour of this eucs leaves so decided to repot into akadama. I had nothing to lose but a tree that i had already given up for dead once and if it lived it would be a good test subject for the aka. It budded quickly and has since slowly ticked along. While not much to look at its encouraging for me to see this baby continue to survive, hopefully it can start to thrive again like it did before.
PICT0107.jpg
PICT0108.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Eucy stump

Post by rowan »

Please keep us updated on this tree, I am interested to see how it does in the medium.
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
http://www.rowansbonsai.com Yamadori nursery.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Shoudl do well in Akadama
I have had one in it for a while and looks fine, but most of mine are in Diatomite which they just love :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

What a great piece of stock to work with. I'd love to have a natural shari Euc in my collection.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

From the initial response of this tree and another I also planted into akadama I expect good things over the coming season.

Mitchell I would have much prefered to have had the tree as it had originally regrown but am happy enough that it lives & wants to continue growing thru out it all.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A month on & this baby is really starting to get into gear.
R0014066.jpg
R0014070.jpg
This is another Lignotuber that has been interesting to have on my bench. Collected just over 2yrs ago it budded all over as they usually do, lt got 2 sets of leaves then stopped and sat for 2yrs. Given it hadnt done anything in so long I decided to repot into akadama at the same time as the other stump. Not one root, what growth it had was from stored energy. I did not touch the shoots it had and over the next month about 3/4 of them died off and I thought it would be heading to the fire pile. Then early sept new buds started to appear, slowly at first, now it is really gathering speed. I cant be certain without taking it out of the pot but the growth gives me hopes that this baby has finally made some roots.
R0014071.jpg
I think the growth rates speak volumes for akadama, tho having said that I get just as good growth from 50/50 soil/gravel. How it stands up over time & the differences in the rootsystem will be my final deciding factors. I will definitely use more for collecting if this is the results it produces. Will need some more testing over time & species to see if there is a benefit to outway the cost.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Another month on & WOW
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Australian Native Species”