fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Root prune

Post by fossil finder »

Hi angelzoras
A picture of the whole plant would help and when talking about timing it would be good to know the region you are in as the climate also influences when to repot. That said you should be OK to repot now if in Australia.
Generally, when you reduce the root system, a proportionate amount of the foliage also needs to go so the root system can supply adequate water/nutrients to the remaining plant. It's a matter of balance. Check out the subforums and wiki links section for more detailed information.
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

The banksia is 40cm high and 50 cm at its widest

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

fossil finder wrote:Hi angelzoras
A picture of the whole plant would help and when talking about timing it would be good to know the region you are in as the climate also influences when to repot. That said you should be OK to repot now if in Australia.
Generally, when you reduce the root system, a proportionate amount of the foliage also needs to go so the root system can supply adequate water/nutrients to the remaining plant. It's a matter of balance. Check out the subforums and wiki links section for more detailed information.
Have put up a picture if you would like to have a look
It's 40cm high and 50 cm at its widest roughly
Thanks

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hi Angela,
The banksias I have worked with are very tolerant of root pruning. I can take 70% or more of roots off and the tree just grows faster afterward.
Timing is the key though. A few years ago I did some trials - root pruned young banksias each month to check response. All through the warmer months they grew well after but as weather cooled in autumn they just sulked after root pruning and did not grow again until the following spring or just died.
My conclusion (and backed by others): root prune banksais (and most other natives) in warmer months. I wait until November here and root prune anytime from Nov - Feb when temps are higher.

You will find that banksia roots are quite brittle. Rather than cutting roots I find it just as effective to tear off chunks with my fingers then trim up with shears at the end.

The other thing with banksias is the they grow so much very fine roots that in less than 12 months the pot is so full of fine roots that it is difficult to water properly. I try to root prune and repot banksias every year or they start to deteriorate and die.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

shibui wrote:Hi Angela,
The banksias I have worked with are very tolerant of root pruning. I can take 70% or more of roots off and the tree just grows faster afterward.
Timing is the key though. A few years ago I did some trials - root pruned young banksias each month to check response. All through the warmer months they grew well after but as weather cooled in autumn they just sulked after root pruning and did not grow again until the following spring or just died.
My conclusion (and backed by others): root prune banksais (and most other natives) in warmer months. I wait until November here and root prune anytime from Nov - Feb when temps are higher.

You will find that banksia roots are quite brittle. Rather than cutting roots I find it just as effective to tear off chunks with my fingers then trim up with shears at the end.

The other thing with banksias is the they grow so much very fine roots that in less than 12 months the pot is so full of fine roots that it is difficult to water properly. I try to root prune and repot banksias every year or they start to deteriorate and die.
Thanks for the advice definitely wait till November hopefully by then it's warmer

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I wil be doing mine in Late Oct / Nov
Like Neil says, Take off 1/2 or more and they should be fine.
I Just make sure seasol is used till they recover then fertilise

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
angelozoras
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by angelozoras »

shibui wrote:Hi Angela,

Hi shibui
I wrote a post about the banksia I posted pictures also ,
Am wanting to root prune now that the weather is much warmer and the banksia has started to produce flowers .
Is it safe and ok to still root prune or wait till the flowers have finished?
Help needed

Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I would repot now, I repot banksias every year because they produce roots so quickly. If you leave it too long they become difficult to water. Beware of branches swelling at the base of flowers, enjoy the flowers for a short time but when they are past their best remove them. Many banksia growers never allow their trees to flower.
Last edited by Gerard on January 11th, 2016, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with Gerard. Still plenty of time to repot banksia while it is warm. My trials with younger ones showed success right through to March. The ones root pruned in march just sulked all winter but grew again the following spring.
I have recently potted a couple from grow pots into bonsai pots and they now both have new shoots growing.
FYI. Contrary to past info, It does not seem to matter if they are actively growing. They still seem to take root pruning in their stride and continue to grow. If you are concerned, try Pup's method and prune back one week to remove fresh shoots then repot the next.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Banksia”