Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: I want to buy a big Banksia serrata

Post by Grant Bowie »

This Banksia is putting out heaps of flower spikes this year. The leaves never did reduce much in size ; so....

How big do you think a Banksia serrata would have to be to make the flowers look in proportion somewhat?

I may have to grow this into the worlds biggest Banksia bonsai.

Grant
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

I remember one of our very esteemed bonsai people and botanist Ian Edwards use to cut the leaves of his Banksia Serrata in half to make the tree look like a bonsai. The serrata really cannot truly reflect a bonsai with long leaves, it just doesn't look right. I Have also done this for the last 20 years with no ill effects. I think we met at BSV many years ago and you were horrified at me doing that.
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Brian wrote:I remember one of our very esteemed bonsai people and botanist Ian Edwards use to cut the leaves of his Banksia Serrata in half to make the tree look like a bonsai. The serrata really cannot truly reflect a bonsai with long leaves, it just doesn't look right. I Have also done this for the last 20 years with no ill effects. I think we met at BSV many years ago and you were horrified at me doing that.
Hi Brian,

I think I offered an extra refinement instead. I suggested using Pinking Shears.

Grant
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

How big do you think a Banksia serrata would have to be to make the flowers look in proportion somewhat?

I may have to grow this into the worlds biggest Banksia bonsai.

Me thinks a two or three man bonsai may see the flowers in proportion. Wouldn't want to be the chap loading it into the van to show it at the local bonsai show :lol:
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

I have since potted; about 2 weeks ago; this big Banksia serrata into a bigger pot with my new (now standard) potting mix of 40% Diatomite, 20% gravel/Zeolite, 20% Pine Bark Mini Nuggets and 20% Coir Fibre/Coconut Peat.

The tree has not missed a beat and the flowers are growing/enlarging nicely; about 10 of them in all. I lightly thinned some foliage but took out no branches.

The previous owner said on Tuesday night that it had never flowered for her. It must like me and my regime for Banksia.

Grant
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Grant Bowie wrote:Hi all,

I have since potted; about 2 weeks ago; this big Banksia serrata into a bigger pot with my new (now standard) potting mix of 40% Diatomite, 20% gravel/Zeolite, 20% Pine Bark Mini Nuggets and 20% Coir Fibre/Coconut Peat.

The tree has not missed a beat and the flowers are growing/enlarging nicely; about 10 of them in all. I lightly thinned some foliage but took out no branches.

The previous owner said on Tuesday night that it had never flowered for her. It must like me and my regime for Banksia.

Grant
How long did the previous owner have it, Grant? I love the old man Banksia - but I have not had any luck with them up here in NQ. I have two integrifolias doing nicely, and a spinulosa "Honey Pots"

Glenda :aussie:
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The start of something big; literally.
IMG_1665 - Copy.JPG
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig on December 14th, 2011, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

How long did the previous owner have it, Grant? I love the old man Banksia - but I have not had any luck with them up here in NQ. I have two integrifolias doing nicely, and a spinulosa "Honey Pots"

Glenda :aussie:[/quote]

Hi Glenda,

The previous owner remembers having the tree in 1982 when she moved house and she had to decide whether to leave some children behind or a few of her plants.

She was reunited with her banksia in 1984 and she says she had not seen it in flower..

So what has made it flower for me? I certainly fertilise and use seasol more frequently; micro climate at my place? Or something else. I have had the tree for about 2 and a half years now.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Update.

Used the tree as part of demo at Weston Creek show. I basically came in and discussed with the audience where to go next with the plant and then made some cuts along the way. The tree was very formal to start with and I have now set along a different path after removing the low horizontal branches and thinning out the tree quite a degree. Still a way to go.
Before.JPG
After.JPG
Grant
Ces
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus tereticornis
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Ces »

brave move grant... but i think it looks great. fantastic new direction.

not sure that it would serve your design but looking at the big cuts got me thinking. Do you know how prone to rot banksia deadwood is?

Once again mate, looking good.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Ces wrote:brave move grant... but i think it looks great. fantastic new direction.

not sure that it would serve your design but looking at the big cuts got me thinking. Do you know how prone to rot banksia deadwood is?

Once again mate, looking good.
I used to think that I would never have deadwood on Banksia but am now firmly in the camp of don't know and reconsidering.

I have another banksia and will start a thread on it as it has old deadwood and some newly created deadwood from a year ago and I also talked at the demo about that tree as well and how it is doing fine.

I will pare back the big cuts on this big banksia but to encourage a lumpy look; not too smooth and not too rough.

grant
Corymbia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, junipers, Aussie natives
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Australian National Bonsai Group, Wauchope B

Post by Corymbia »

Hi Grant. My tip for smaller flowers on your banksia, to be in proportion with the tree, is to break the candle in half as it is elongating, before the individual florets (don't know if that is correct term) open. I do this on my honeypots at it works well.

Jan B
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Grant i proberly asked this before but just wondering when u usually repot your banksia's. I have several serrata grown in my grow beds from tube stock for several years now that id like to transplant into nursery pots for a year or two to settle . I have never lifted these yet but have spaded them twice. The weather is still up and down here getting into 1-2 last week. Would i wait till december and how much root can you safely remove at once . I heard they can be quite fibrous ?

cheers
Matt
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Matthew wrote:Grant i proberly asked this before but just wondering when u usually repot your banksia's. I have several serrata grown in my grow beds from tube stock for several years now that id like to transplant into nursery pots for a year or two to settle . I have never lifted these yet but have spaded them twice. The weather is still up and down here getting into 1-2 last week. Would i wait till december and how much root can you safely remove at once . I heard they can be quite fibrous ?

cheers
Matt
You should be able to dig them out of the ground once it warms up for good; maybe another 2 weeks away the way the weather is behaving. Banksia already as bonsai would be fine to repot now and I repotted my big Integrifolia about 3 weeks ago.

Grant

Return to “Banksia”