SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples, cork oaks
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Wauchope

Air Layer Banksia

Post by SteveW »

This was the big weekend when the banksia air layer was removed. Two years ago I removed a circle of bark about 20 mm wide, put rooting hormone on the cut, then suspended a 30cm orchid put around the cut and filled it with a peaty mix. The pot had a couple of pot micro-sprays in it to keep the mix moist.

I left the air layer on this long as several threads mentioned air layer banksias dying when removed. I figured no rush.

A couple of weeks ago, I cut the trunk half way through to let the 'cutting' adjust to being removed. Yesterday I removed the cutting and this morning it hadn't blinked.

Here's the evidence.
Banksia Airlayer Oct14 (4) small.jpg
Banksia Airlayer Oct14 (3) small.jpg
Banksia Airlayer Oct14 (2) small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Northern Bonsai Club, Adelaide, Bonsai Society of SA, Vic Native Club

Re: Air Layer Banksia

Post by Bek »

Wow! Looks like it was worth the wait!
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ben Thomas »

Awesome! Was that your first shot at air layering?? Well done.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

That is fantastic work and you've given me an idea on how to tackle layering a fairly thick Agonis. Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SteveW »

I have done lots of air layers, mostly deciduous, some evergreen. I mostly do a plastic bag of spaghnum, as the trees were in the garden. I have successfully done Japanese maples, apples (and the tree grew a granny smith, then the tree got wood grubs and ended up over the edge of the garden into the bush), and crab apple ( I know, two maluses in a row).

My unsuccessful air layers are cork oak (same method as the banksia - will use a bigger cut next time) and a witches broom on a sandpaper fig (sad that, as it would have made an awesome cascade).

I reckon the pot with irrigation is a great way to go. Just need patience.
mrhatmostly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: tas natives
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by mrhatmostly »

Did you use this method to encourage greater root development than "sphagnum moss in a bag"? Given this is an open system - did you simply water it along with the plant or did you bag it first to encourage initial growth?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Did you use this method to encourage greater root development than "sphagnum moss in a bag"? Given this is an open system - did you simply water it along with the plant or did you bag it first to encourage initial growth?
Steve may not be posting much any more so hope I'm not out of line making reply.

Pot method is simply a different approach to layering. Some find it easier or more successful. Use whichever you find best.
Pot layering needs to be watered regularly to keep the roots alive so only useful on plants you water every day. Use wrapped sphagnum for layers where you cannot water very often. No bag used at all. Just make the cuts, place the pot and fill with potting mix then wait. A larger pot like this will certainly give more room for roots and I note that Steve says he left it on for 2 years. Should have been plenty of roots by then.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SteveW »

I agree with Shibui's reply. The pot had its own micro-spray on a daily cycle. I left it 2 years as every unsuccessful banksia airlayer on this site pointed to cutting the air layer off too soon. Bonsai is a game of patience.

Return to “Banksia”