Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Banksia marginata

Post by Elmar »

Boics wrote:Does this change anyone's mind?

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7847&start=0&hilit=banksia+peter
OK, you got me!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Grant Bowie wrote:
kcpoole wrote:I agree that Banksia are awesome trees as Bonsai.
They can be grown as mame or small shohin to larger sizes as the leaves reduce really well. ( at least on B. integrifolia that I have)
The trunks and bark are awesome too.
Easy to propogate via Cuttings or layers
Unlike grant I find they wire easily ( care to elaborate on that Grant? ).

They are in my list of easy care trees, and I cannot think of any reason why anyone would not have one :lost:

Ken
I just avoid using wire on Banksia; to try and get a more natural feel and look.

If you do wire you do it very lightly and avoid wiring down branches as they lose vigour.

Grant
Ok thanks. only ever wire the younger shoots before they lignify, Never had any go below the horizontal and so far no issues :-) :fc:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

bonsaibuddyman wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:
kcpoole wrote:I agree that Banksia are awesome trees as Bonsai.
They can be grown as mame or small shohin to larger sizes as the leaves reduce really well. ( at least on B. integrifolia that I have)
The trunks and bark are awesome too.
Easy to propogate via Cuttings or layers
Unlike grant I find they wire easily ( care to elaborate on that Grant? ).

They are in my list of easy care trees, and I cannot think of any reason why anyone would not have one :lost:

Ken
I just avoid using wire on Banksia; to try and get a more natural feel and look.

If you do wire you do it very lightly and avoid wiring down branches as they lose vigour.

Grant
Yeah, I found this too. When I started wiring my banksia I tended to lose branches. I have never had any success at all with the species in general. I have tried Integrifolia, serrata, marginata and spinulosa. I would eventually lose all of them. I absolutely love banksia and think they look spectacular as bonsai. I am very jealous of people that grow them well, and seeing a few of Grant Bowie's was what inspired me to try them again, but I still lost them, and got frustrated at continually losing them that I gave up. I guess I should probably try again, but I think maybe the humidity and lack of sun doesn't help where my bonsai are. I planted a few Integrifolia at the front of our house for the garden that are doing very well and attract beautiful native birds, so the humidity can't be a problem for me, it must just be me and either watering or cutting back too hard that is the problem.
I have my larger ones in full sun. the smaller ones are in Dappled shade of Gum trees.
All are potted in Diatomite / Zeolite

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Marginata is one not suited for high humidity areas, so Central coast or coastal suburbs of Sydney may struggle to keep them alive..

B integrifolia should do fine most places; mountains, plains or coast, Tasmania , Byron Bay even Perth. There are 3 varieties so you might wish to choose the better one for your area if you can.

B serrata is replaced by B aemula as you go north to Brisbane and further north; so if you are in a high humidity area I would recommend B aemula or B paludosa rather than serrata.Melbourne seems to be close to the edge of the natural southern range for B serrata and there have been some failures of old B serrata in Melbourne.

Still can't think why B marginata would struggle where Shibui lives!

Grant
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Grant Bowie wrote:Marginata is one not suited for high humidity areas, so Central coast or coastal suburbs of Sydney may struggle to keep them alive..

B integrifolia should do fine most places; mountains, plains or coast, Tasmania , Byron Bay even Perth. There are 3 varieties so you might wish to choose the better one for your area if you can.

B serrata is replaced by B aemula as you go north to Brisbane and further north; so if you are in a high humidity area I would recommend B aemula or B paludosa rather than serrata.Melbourne seems to be close to the edge of the natural southern range for B serrata and there have been some failures of old B serrata in Melbourne.

Grant
What about the "ericifolia" as worked on by PeterH (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7847&start=0&hilit=banksia+peter), where would that fit into your extensive list?
Cheers
Elmar
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi all,
That is a magnificent bonsai PeterH has crafted. A real credit to him. Peter Banksia :clap: :clap: :aussie:

Regards Ray
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:Marginata is one not suited for high humidity areas, so Central coast or coastal suburbs of Sydney may struggle to keep them alive..

Grant
What about the "ericifolia" as worked on by PeterH (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7847&start=0&hilit=banksia+peter), where would that fit into your extensive list?
Ericifolia can grow up in the mountains(Mount Banks funnily enough) in the Blue mountains and right up the coast towards Brisbane so should do fine in a variety of climates. It also does well in pots in Perth.

Grant
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There's a couple of possibilities I'm exploring Grant.
1. Provenance. Most of mine are seed grown from local trees which are quite rare in this area since superphosphate and agriculture. As mentioned earlier I have talked to some botanists who had noted several differences in coastal and inland forms of B. marginata. There was even talk of splitting into 2 species but that has not yet happened. It may just be that the form in this area is not particularly hardy and may not be suited to bonsai.
2. Phytopthera. WA banksias are quite susceptible to this fungal disease and I have always had trouble keeping them alive in pots and in the garden. most Eastern banksias are relatively resistant to it but maybe marginata (or even just this form) in susceptible enough to make a difference.

Whatever it is that's affecting my trees, this thread has stirred quite a lot of valuable info and ideas on cultivating banksias as bonsai. Thanks to all the contributors and please keep it coming.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Marginata maybe should be split into a number of sub groups.

Phil E from SA club showed me some really weird looking Marginata along the highway from Adelaide to Melbourne a few years ago. They are very variable!

You may be right and the strain near you is not a strong one.

Grant
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Boics wrote:Does this change anyone's mind?

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7847&start=0&hilit=banksia+peter
Not mine
Mike
lakepipes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by lakepipes »

I think everyone should have a B integrifolia in their collection, they are stunning bonsai material that reduce well.
There have been B integrifolia in the national collection through the years that are brilliant examples of the species.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ahhhh! Look, I don't know... Thought I was just sticking in my :2c: but now it seems after the responses/images maybe I was missing something and I'm off in search of some new stock! Banksia Integrifolia... it's found a spot on the list, my wife is stoked! Thanks for the inspiration all, always happy to be persuaded on pretty much anything!... :yes:
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

B integrifolia.jpg
This is a B integrifolia new to display in the NBPCA collection although it has been in the back of house getting into good condition for 2 years.

It is a very big tree with a fabulous base/spread and natural shaping.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I do love that bonsai, but for me, the nebari looks a bit contrived. Just my opinion.

This is definitely one of my favourite looking Integrifolias I've seen on this site as it looks exactly like the Integrifolias around here.
---> https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... folia2.JPG

Grant, there was one you had a snap shot of in a background picture I recall. I think it was your personal collection... it was breath taking, but can't remember what the post was about.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Sorry, need more information.

If it is my B integrifolia that won the Ryuga prize in Gold Coast convention then I have donated it to the NBPCA.

Grant

Return to “Banksia”