squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: The banksia workshop

Post by squizzy »

Hi all.
After some advice for those in the colder regions of Australia. I am moving in the next few weeks from Sydney northern beaches to Murrumbateman just north of Canberra. I am concerned about the transition of my trees from here to there. Is there anything special I should be doing to acclimatise my trees which consist of a lot of banksia. Looking to you Grant Bowie in particular for advice please.
Squizzy
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

squizzy wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:05 pm Hi all.
After some advice for those in the colder regions of Australia. I am moving in the next few weeks from Sydney northern beaches to Murrumbateman just north of Canberra. I am concerned about the transition of my trees from here to there. Is there anything special I should be doing to acclimatise my trees which consist of a lot of banksia. Looking to you Grant Bowie in particular for advice please.
Squizzy
I've purchased banksias from Sdyney and returned home to Canberra. I find that they cope fine, i don't normal do anything special for them. I only watch out for heavy frost with my old man banksias and the others cope fine.
Last edited by Keels on July 25th, 2021, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Cheers keels.
Will be making time to catch up when we get down.
-5 in Murrumbateman through the week. :o
Squizzy
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

squizzy wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:29 pm Cheers keels.
Will be making time to catch up when we get down.
-5 in Murrumbateman through the week. :o
Squizzy
Yeah it's been a bit nuts lately. I've been caught off guard twice when we have had a couple of deep minus events :lol:
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi, This winter has been very cold through the day but without the extreme cold overnight.

My Banksia integrifolia sustained very light tip damage this year but the growth was relatively recent(which I try and avoid by not trimming too late.
My B serrat green cape has got widespread but minor leaf damage, I have since moved into a slightly warmer spot with protection.

Hope that helps,

Grant
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Thanks Grant.
We shall see how much it shocks them.
Squizzy
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Rory wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:16 pm I stumbled across this nice piece of material: Banksia brownii

It has very attractive foliage. But its from the southern side of WA. So I'm not holding my breath on this one.
This area with Banksias seem to be a bit problematic with me. Still, its worth a shot to see how I go with this one.

Banksia brownii.jpg
How's it going so far with your Brownii? I recently picked a tubestock up at a nursery. I just love seeing that foliage in my garden every day. I live in the part of WA where it is native, which may make it a bit easier. I just cut the main leader off to encourage branching further down the trunk.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Just repotted two B integrifolia, much later then usual , due to the fact we have had a cold, wet spring and early summer. A lot of roots were removed and it had already been cut back about 2 to 3 weeks earlier and new growth had started. Neither missed a beat and are doing really well and back out in full sun.

Hardly any new growth on my B serrata green cape due to mild temps also.

Marginalia does really well here in Canberra.

We also purchased a number of other banksia for our newly remodelled front garden, I will let you know how they are going and if they survive I might get some for Bonsai.

Grant
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Patmet wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 1:14 pm
Rory wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:16 pm I stumbled across this nice piece of material: Banksia brownii

It has very attractive foliage. But its from the southern side of WA. So I'm not holding my breath on this one.
This area with Banksias seem to be a bit problematic with me. Still, its worth a shot to see how I go with this one.

Banksia brownii.jpg
How's it going so far with your Brownii? I recently picked a tubestock up at a nursery. I just love seeing that foliage in my garden every day. I live in the part of WA where it is native, which may make it a bit easier. I just cut the main leader off to encourage branching further down the trunk.
I wish I had better news, but I think it’s deceased.
We had a long holiday a while back, and I had to let the secondary collection fend for itself for a week. It must have been a bit more windy and sunny than I thought, as I lost this and a few leptos. My main collection had a watering system but not these, so I think it’s gone sadly.

It was very lovely with its foliage though.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Rory wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 11:25 pm
Patmet wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 1:14 pm

Banksia brownii.jpg
I wish I had better news, but I think it’s deceased.
We had a long holiday a while back, and I had to let the secondary collection fend for itself for a week. It must have been a bit more windy and sunny than I thought, as I lost this and a few leptos. My main collection had a watering system but not these, so I think it’s gone sadly.

It was very lovely with its foliage though.
Oh ok sorry to hear that! Just one of those things that happens. Hopefully i can have a bit of success with mine and get a thread going. They certainly have potential.

Return to “Banksia”