Banksia marginata

Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Banksia marginata

Post by Sno »

Sorry, Sno, I should have been more precise. Samarkand Pottery is owned by James Tranter.

Lisa
[/quote]
It’s my bad I really should of known his name . He makes great pots .
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Rory wrote:
It naturally develops an aesthetically pleasing rugged look, without requiring much work. They are the most anti-tapered Banksia I have grown. No matter what you do, they often bulge all over the place and have inverse taper everywhere, but it also resonates a lovely natural look when the entire tree develops it all over.
A member of the Canberra Bonsai Society read this and consequently sent me photos of her two Banksia marginata which have no anti-taper tendencies. One dates from 2002 and the second from 2013. The latter is growing more of a ringed bark, the way Sno's big one does.

Lisa
Banksia marginata 2013.detail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Apologies! I forgot the text that goes with the two Banksia marginata. Here it is:
My large B. marginata was small nursery stock purchased from Grant Bowie in 2002, grown in ground for about 8 years with some cutting back of the top and digging around the root system twice a year (maybe not every year). When I repotted it in 2015, I found that the root system had developed into a big woody plate, with a fringe of fine roots around the outside. No wonder it was not doing so well. I dug concavities into the underside of the plate and applied rooting powder. Seemed to help but the tree still did not flourish. In 2018, I went further and drilled holes into the plate and again applied some rooting hormone. I had to scrape/cut away some dead root mass at this time. Doing better now.
The small tree came from Bunnings in a 10cm plastic pot. I’ve done very little but separate the trunks. I think this Penny Davis pot is perfect for it.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

LLK wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:11 pm Rory wrote:
It naturally develops an aesthetically pleasing rugged look, without requiring much work. They are the most anti-tapered Banksia I have grown. No matter what you do, they often bulge all over the place and have inverse taper everywhere, but it also resonates a lovely natural look when the entire tree develops it all over.
A member of the Canberra Bonsai Society read this and consequently sent me photos of her two Banksia marginata which have no anti-taper tendencies. One dates from 2002 and the second from 2013. The latter is growing more of a ringed bark, the way Sno's big one does.

Lisa

Banksia marginata 2013.detail.jpg
Hi Lisa,

I think if you look very closely at the branch structure you might find a lot of bulging. It looks like that even from those pictures you added :)

Of the Banksia marginata that I have growing nearly all of them have significant bulging and/or reverse taper. But there will probably be many different variants of marginata. :yes:

From my experience they have far more bulging and interesting growth than any Banksia I’ve grown and is what I actually adore about them.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Banksia”