Banksia marginata

Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Banksia marginata

Post by Sno »

Most Banksia don’t grow up here but marginata is a local tree . This one was started from seed a while ago . I repotted today . It has new shoes so it’s worth showing .
0E9FA8F8-EAF4-47DB-A864-444DF833057C.jpeg
4DAE00DD-8FEC-41CA-9D93-CCD63E03A732.jpeg
08B2CBDB-4FFD-4AB7-8B00-8117A114DCA0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Banksia marginata

Post by Ryceman3 »

That bark texture is killer!
:cool:
Roughly how old do you reckon?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Otherworldly... reminds me of ET's neck.
LANDSCAPE-1478617763-ET-PHONE-HOME.jpeg
Just sayin'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Original! Very enjoyable.
BTW, is that a Tranter pot? Nice. Goes well with the tree.

Lisa
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Really nice Sno. Marginata is the only local banksia around here too and I recently bought some tube stock. Your tree is pretty much how I'd like it to look.

Matt.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Nice one Sno. That's definitely going to get more beautiful as it ages.
The only thing these guys hate is having constant wet feet. The only way I have kept them in good health is with very fast drainage and maintaining a lot of foliage all over the tree. They grow very well with branches below the horizontal as long as it gets sun exposure too. :yes:
But they are far more prone to root rot than any other Banksia I have trialled. :no:

Marginata though would be one of my favrourite Banksia to grow, mainly because of the already small and easily reducible leaf size.
It naturally develops an aesthetically pleasing rugged look, without requiring much work. They are the most anti-tapered Banksia I have grown. No matter what you do, they often bulge all over the place and have inverse taper everywhere, but it also resonates a lovely natural look when the entire tree develops it all over. I have a few examples of this in progression photos yet to come. Interestingly, all the marginata specimens I have experimented with have a very thick layer of cambium, more so than other banksia I have trialled and makes it very easy to cut back into and heal fast, provided you don't cut all the way into the wood.

I have been experimenting with many Banksia at the moment (over 10 different species), and there are so many fantastic Banksias for bonsai.

Well done Sno, I have found its not an easy tree to keep healthy when its young. Ironically they seem much more resilient towards bonsai life when they are older material provided you don't give them very low trunk chops, which I found can be hit-and-miss. On a plus side, they are one of the fastest trees to shoot back from a big trunk chop if done in the strong growing periods. You can remove so much root from them and they are very hardy with root removal. But I found that as long as you leave a LOT of foliage on all banksias that you can remove a lot of root. The old adage of saying equal root and equal foliage reduction doesn't apply to banksia in my opinion. I find they have a much higher chance of survival if you leave more foliage on regardless of the large root reduction.
:tu2:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

B. marginata is a very wide spread species so there are also many slightly different forms. I've found that my local inland marginatas are not particularly hardy and slowly die off with my culture. Coastal forms seem to be much more resilient for me and some from Tasmanian seed seem to have naturally smaller leaves and more compact growth habit so ramifies better for bonsai.

Like most other banksias they seem to fill a pot with very fine fibrous roots really quickly. By spring it becomes difficult for water to penetrate into the root mass and many perish from dehydration despite regular watering. If I notice them having trouble before they die I've managed to keep them going by sitting the pot in a shallow dish of water. Have not had any problem with root rot from wet feet in those cases. By far the best option is to regularly root prune to allow space for water and new roots to penetrate. Most young ones I try to root prune annually but older trees seem to grow less roots so they can go several years.

The bark on your tree looks similar to our local inland ones I've grown so I assume you've sourced this tree from your area Sno?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Ryceman3 wrote: November 28th, 2019, 5:50 am That bark texture is killer!
:cool:
Roughly how old do you reckon?
Ah now your testing me ,it’s probably older than I think (how time flys when your having fun ) . It was one of a batch that I started for landscape trees for my garden maybe nine or ten years ago .
C1BAFF0B-5451-49D8-B951-C951FC5C4E82.jpeg

This one is about 8m high . It’s had a good life lots of water and no chops ;) except for Black Cockatoos which love the seed and occasionally prune it .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

LLK wrote: November 28th, 2019, 7:46 am Original! Very enjoyable.
BTW, is that a Tranter pot? Nice. Goes well with the tree.

Lisa
Hi Lisa , thanks . Ah another test , i bought this pot at the CBS show in October. He was selling pots next to Graham I thought it was Samarkand pots .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

MJL wrote: November 28th, 2019, 6:47 am Otherworldly... reminds me of ET's neck.
LANDSCAPE-1478617763-ET-PHONE-HOME.jpeg
Just sayin'
Bugger now I can’t unsee it . :lol:
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Matt S wrote: November 28th, 2019, 9:12 am Really nice Sno. Marginata is the only local banksia around here too and I recently bought some tube stock. Your tree is pretty much how I'd like it to look.

Matt.
Thanks Matt .i think if you start them early with root training they respond better . Like Rory and Shibui I’ve had trouble when I’ve bought some more advanced nursery stock . I’ve seen some really nice examples of them bonsaied out there .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Rory wrote: November 28th, 2019, 9:27 am They are the most anti-tapered Banksia I have grown.
:tu2:
Hi Rory . I gave up trying to get taper on this tree ,it was chopped at least three times and it still grows like a sausage .or ET ‘s neck .
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Less of ET’s neck on the landscape version... it’s missing out! :whistle:
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

[quote=shibui post_id=272023 time=1574924389 user_id=781
The bark on your tree looks similar to our local inland ones I've grown so I assume you've sourced this tree from your area Sno?
[/quote]
Hi Shibui . Yes it’s from local sourced trees . Unfortunately they will become rarer up here because the deer that have gone rampant up here eat all the seedlings so there are no new trees coming on .
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Hi Lisa , thanks . Ah another test , i bought this pot at the CBS show in October. He was selling pots next to Graham I thought it was Samarkand pots .
Sorry, Sno, I should have been more precise. Samarkand Pottery is owned by James Tranter.

Lisa

Return to “Banksia”