Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

The Three Amigos [Keels]

Post by Keels »

I popped past Cool Country Natives in Pialligo on Sunday. I was there checking out ground covers for a patch of dirt at my front yard. When i noticed they had Banksia Integrifola seedlings. I thought i better grab at least three and bring them home for future experiments :twisted: I thought i would record these future experiments here.
Amigos (3).jpg
Amigos (2).jpg
Today i gave them a quick wire and twisted them up into a couple of odd shapes. I made sure i grabbed the skinniest seedlings so they had a fair bit of flexibility.
Amigos (1).jpg
My aim is to create some interesting shohin banksia trees with these seedlings in a couple of years.

Next step in the plan will be to repot them in Summer into a bit bigger container.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: The Three Amigos [Keels]

Post by MJL »

Looking forward to watching the 'experiments' Keels.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I was in Cool Country Natives on Sunday too, and donated a little bit of my wife's hard earned on a couple of new plants (as if I need any more). So I will also be watching this post over the coming years.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Recently visited a native nursery and came home with a few to many starters ,including three Integrifolias. Looking forward to future updates Keels. Good luck, cheers John.
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

you may find they will reshoot and ignore your wired part in my experience,,, I use cut and grow technque on them.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Grainer wrote: July 15th, 2020, 4:14 pm you may find they will reshoot and ignore your wired part in my experience,,, I use cut and grow technque on them.
i have seen that they back bud really well. I'm pretty flexible and will work with what ever the tree presents itself. It's been working well with a couple of other banksias ive got. :tu:
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

Yes they back bud prolifically
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

Good luck, Keels. Have a look at Grant Bowie’s landmark article on AusBonsai on B integrifolia (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... f=69&t=812). Grant makes the following point that may be very relevant to your experiment: “You can wire B. integrifoila at any time, but wiring a B. integrifoila has a few interesting foibles. If you wire a branch down below horizontal it tends to lose vigour, it only thickens at about one third of the rate as a branch wired up then out. If you must for artistic reasons wire a branch down, leave it long and untrimmed and wire the very tip upwards. This allows the branch to stay vigorous as it thickens and when it has set you can unwire and trim it back the growing tip. Once the branch is set in the downward position it then allows the side growth to grow and thicken as normal.”

Also, I did a summary of AusBonsai articles on B integrifolia that might be helpful. (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 69&t=27698)
tinto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: sydney

Post by tinto »

yes fatten them up in a pot, good idea
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Phil Rabl wrote: July 16th, 2020, 9:55 am Good luck, Keels. Have a look at Grant Bowie’s landmark article on AusBonsai on B integrifolia (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... f=69&t=812). Grant makes the following point that may be very relevant to your experiment: “You can wire B. integrifoila at any time, but wiring a B. integrifoila has a few interesting foibles. If you wire a branch down below horizontal it tends to lose vigour, it only thickens at about one third of the rate as a branch wired up then out. If you must for artistic reasons wire a branch down, leave it long and untrimmed and wire the very tip upwards. This allows the branch to stay vigorous as it thickens and when it has set you can unwire and trim it back the growing tip. Once the branch is set in the downward position it then allows the side growth to grow and thicken as normal.”

Also, I did a summary of AusBonsai articles on B integrifolia that might be helpful. (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 69&t=27698)
Thanks Phil. I have read the article of Grants. He definitely creates marvelous banksia bonsai.

Now i have wired one tree past horizontal so i will monitor it's progress to the others

Return to “Banksia”