Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Banksia marginata 1

Post by Rory »

Progression thread: Banksia marginata 1

Banksia marginata 1

This lovely specimen was purchased from Bonsai World for $30

They need fast drainage, and don't like having wet feet. You will rot the roots if your drainage isn't good.
I add washed river sand to the mix to give it excellent drainage.
You MUST keep a lot of foliage on them at all times and try to ensure all the banching gets a lot of sun otherwise the shaded branches will decline in health fairly soon. Even when you do a trunk chop, try to do it and leave foliage on the tree as well.
I only do rootwork when its growing strong in the warmer months and putting out new growth. But wait till the new growth is a little hard before touching the roots, (in my experience).

The branching takes a long time to harden, so you they are easy to style. They look really good with the clip-and-grow method instead of wiring.

I have just trunk chopped this tree after waiting a good 4 years before it was bushy enough. (Bonsai requires patience). Otherwise I knew it would sulk if I had trunk chopped it without a lot of foliage below the chop. Besides, I was also giving it many years to hopefully produce shoots above the first junction of branching that I could keep as the new leader(s), but it never produced anything so I eventually trunk chopped, which was done about 3 months ago. I have trunk chopped B. marginata before and had them die back, so I was very keen to not have to trunk chop without shoots on the trunk, but I had no other choice. It proved successful. I probably could have trunk chopped years ago, but I prefer to take zero chances and take the long road with good material that I like.

About 3-4 weeks after the trunk chop (and a slight worry), it finally produced a tonne of new growth. Now... I do not remove ANY of the new growth for about 6 months normally. If bugs or damage or falling branches knock off the new growth, you can easily get die-back. Again, I do not subscribe to the school of 'choose a few branches and remove the rest' philosophy. I maximise my options for as long as possible. Marginata takes a long time to bulge, so there is no drama like you would get with say... Casuarina torulosa or Banksia integrifolia.
B. marginata 1-01 20Sep2017.jpg
20Sep2017

B. marginata 1-02 20Feb2020.jpg
20Feb2020

B. marginata 1-03 03Mar2021.jpg
03Mar2021
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Banksia marginata 1

Post by Rory »

They aren't super fast to grow in my area, but also depends on the conditions. If you get a lot of sun, have fast drainage and you keep the water up, they can power on.
I haven't done much with this either except allow it to grow and cut back.
You know that race of the Hare and the Tortoise. This guy is the tortoise. :palm:
B. marginata 1-04 10Jan2022.jpg
10 Jan 2022
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Banksia”