dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistermon, Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Banksia from old Nursery Stock

Post by dannynovo »

Hi everyone,
I picked up a Banksia Integrifolia yesterday from a nursery i mentioned in another Thread. There was only a handful left of what i would call "unwanted" trees, being too tall (1.5m) with leggy branches and stuck under a shade clothed area showing no signs of being loved, i had to trim right back just to get it in my car.
Anyway have attached some Pics of the trimmed Banksia, my imediate ideal is to repot in a new mix due to the soil in the pot having and unsavoury smell to it and allowing it to backbud before doing anything else.
the dimensions are
4.5 cm Trunk
8.0 cm to fork
20.0 cm (desired final height)
i have marked the branches to be trimmed with the leader chosen having a diameter of 1.5cm at the 20.0 cm mark.

006.JPG
009.JPG
013.JPG
Feel free to comment if i'm going in the right direction or not... :fc:

Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Re: Banksia from old Nursery Stock

Post by LLK »

I think you might benefit a lot from reading Grant Bowie's article on Banksias. See
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=812
on this forum.
By the way, somehow Banksias and jins won't combine in my mind. I can't remember ever seeing a jinned Banksia, either in real life or in photographs. Maybe other people have, though.

LLK
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

LLK wrote:I think you might benefit a lot from reading Grant Bowie's article on Banksias. See
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=812
on this forum.
By the way, somehow Banksias and jins won't combine in my mind. I can't remember ever seeing a jinned Banksia, either in real life or in photographs. Maybe other people have, though.

LLK
Lisa, ask Grant to show you pictures of one he took when he was last here. A Banksia that looks a lot like Chase Rosade's Logo. With the top naturally Jinned as well as some along the trunk.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Lisa,
I have read Grants Thread on Banksia and it is very informative and i dare say i will read it a few more times as well.
I have also seen natural Jin on quiet a few Banksia's as well as other natives in my local area...wether it be lightning or wind or other causes. the reasoning behind doing a jin on this tree is if i remove the branch from the main trunk at the fork, it will leave a masive scar that i think would look horrible, so the alternative would be to jin. in the end the tree only cost me 5 bucks, so i''ve nothing to lose.

Pup,
is there a thread or web site to view the particular Banksia you are talking about?

Danny
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Gday Danny!

If it were my tree, I'd be looking at creating movement in the lower trunk by chopping the main leader. Your initial plan will be OK for taper, but the trunk will end up being dead straight.
Dannynovo_Banksia_Virt.jpg
Sounds like a change of soil is well in order, and this should help the tree recover strength before you commit to any major reduction.

Good luck, and thanks!

Fly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

hi Mr Fly,
thanks for your comment,
there is slant on the trunk below the fork, but i see your idea.....tree has been repotted and i was gagging :mrgreen: the whole time when i removed it from existing pot...no wonder it was going green on the nebari and i thought it was moss :lol:

Danny
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Hi all,
picked up another Coastal Banksia yesterday from the same Nursery, ichose this one because of the trunk movement to the left, therefore, I'm going to train it toward semi cascade so all the vertical limbs :twisted: will be in for the big chop :twisted:. My question is is it to late to chop back hard, knowing these trees slow up considerably during winter, but also noting that backbudding on the other Banksia has not slowed down in the least :reading: :lost:
I will be running both these banksia progressions together...attached pics

Danny
Pic 1 001.JPG
Pic 1 002.JPG
Pic 1 003.JPG
Pic 1 004.JPG
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Hi all,
a bit of an udate of both banksias.
trimmed branches back, probably not as much as they should have been...
regrowth has been good, with buds down very low which were rubbed off.
cleaned back the nebari mainly on the tallest tree, showing minimal character and little if no nebari showing on the smallest tree.
bit undecided on the left branch of the smallest tree (keep or cut).
anyway they still have plenty of growing to do

Danny
Banksia front (maybe).JPG
Banksia back (maybe).JPG
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Couldn't fit all pics on

Danny
Banksia front.JPG
Banksia right.JPG
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

Good one Danny!....they seem like a bargain at $5 :tu2: I'd be heading back to clean them out at that price.....just heading down a similar path with an integ at the moment,chopped back and selected another leader to grow on! Something that you may be aware of and is typical of larger non bonsai nursery stock is the nebari which coils around in the pot ,something which caught my eye in the larger of the two you have ,it looks like someone sitting with legs crossed - needs some attention as you repot next...good stuff mate and thanks for posting! 8-) ....Dog.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Dog,
Thanks for the advise on the roots, it was evident when i repotted before, i didn't attend to them then, but will do in spring.
will work more on branch structure first and leaf reduction. amazingly there is still a few left.

Danny

Return to “Banksia”