craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: banksia foliage how did you do it Grant

Post by craigw60 »

Thanks for that Grant I do everything you suggest already except of course having a vast array of helpers which is clearly my downfall, will have to attempt to be much more vigilant this growing season
Craigw
whereswally007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Heaps
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by whereswally007 »

thanks for the great information
If you cant keep up, dont step up.
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

craigw60 wrote:Thanks for that Grant I do everything you suggest already except of course having a vast array of helpers which is clearly my downfall, will have to attempt to be much more vigilant this growing season
Craigw
Hi Craig,

I am at work at the moment but I will take some Macro photos, when I get home, of bud selection and cutting that may help with your question.

The B integrifolia puts out a couple of ear like small buds before they elongate and start to leaf out. You can trim back to these"proto buds" and this stops everything from elongating too much.

Lots of ferts and and trimming gives lots of growth which gives lots of new buds and branches which eventually gives smaller and more compact growth.

I think that B integrifoila of yours is the best I have ever seen and it was a delight to work on. I am glad it went back to you in good health and that you were happy with our stewardship here.

Grant
Last edited by NBPCA on November 1st, 2010, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: BANKSIA INTEGRIFOLIA AS BONSAI

Post by craigw60 »

Indeed I am happy Grant its just a matter of maintaining all the good work you did.
Craigw
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi craig and everyone,

sorry it took a while to get back to you about the small size leaves I get on my banksia.

Firstly here are an older and current photo of my Banksia integrifolia.
B integrifolia var compar.Feb 2009.jpg
B integrifolia var compar nov 2010.JPG
as you can see the Banksia is much fuller just 18 months on. It gets fed very regularly and trimmed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Banksia integrifolia 1 (2).JPG
Banksia integrifolia 1.JPG
Banksia integrifolia 1 (5).JPG
Of course B integrifolia leaves are normally up to 100mm or 150mm. Mine are now quite small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

At the base of the new vertical growth you can see what look like tiny little leaves or buds.

They are in fact the bud covers that have opened as the new growth pushes out. However you can cut back to these "buds" and almost without fail they will start budding and grow. By constant fertilizing, trimming, regrowing etc the Banksia have bulked up and the leaves have become much smaller.

I do the usual trimming method with natives which allows the sideways growth new foliage to extend and maybe get trimmed once to against 3 times you might trim the upright strong growth. It is a mistake to constantly trim out the vertical growth completely as it doesn't allow the tree to bulk up.

I hope that helps. It is the method I use at home and at the collection and I am pleased to see that i was able to surprise an experienced grower of real bonsai with our work on his tree at the collection.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Potting mix update for Banksia.

I have been growing a single Banksia serrata in a new potting mix for about 6 months and this particular tree looks better than I have ever seen it health wise. It is such a lovely dark green. I have had this tree for about 15 years from seed I germinated and have used it in various Banksia demonstrations; so I know the tree well.

The mix is the same as I have been using and trialling on other trees this year;
40% Diatomite
20% Zeolite or Blue metal or Gravel etc
20% Coco Peat
20% Pine bark Mini Nuggets

I will get my Banksia integrifolia into the same mix over the next month or so and see how they go as well.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

Just about to repot and tidy up this Banksia for the forthcoming CBS show; next weekend.

Here is the before shot.
October 2011 - Copy.JPG
Grant
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

Grant, what a fantastic looking Banksia :hooray: .. I absoulutey love it mate :crikey:

That tree would take pride of place in anyones collection :clap:
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Thanks,

Well I have repotted the tree down into a shallower, oval pot of the same make and it looks amazingly big in the pot.

Once I started to thin it out I couldn't stop and haven't finished yet.

Pics later.

grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hi Grant

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for you to give us your latest take on the process for re potting Banksia. I think your old article suggests re potting infrequently with a few years of slip potting and reducing the roots only after say 5 years.
Is this still the current procedure ?

I guess it is too late to ask for pictures of reducing the root ball on your recent repot?

Oh and wish I could make it to the show. I would love to see this one in the bark :tu:
Last edited by Bretts on October 10th, 2011, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
NBPCA
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Bretts wrote:Hi Grant

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for you to give us your latest take on the process for re potting Banksia. I think your old article suggests re potting infrequently with a few years of slip potting and reducing the roots only after say 5 years.
Is this still the current procedure ?

I guess it is too late to ask for pictures of reducing the root ball on your recent repot?

Oh and wish I could make it to the show. I would love to see this one in the bark :tu:

Hi Brett,

This particular Banksia is well past the grow on and thicken stage and is now into long term maintenance mode. The above technique certainly did its job and the base on this Banksia is enormous.

The root system was a very fine and very healthy mat on the bottom of the pot and not a hint of Proteoid roots anywhere.

I cut the root system quite hard to get it down into a shallower pot and the corners(in the old rectangular pot) stuck out past the shape of the new oval pot so I removed heavy roots at each corner so to speak.

I should have taken more photos but I was on my own with this one and it was sunny and breezy that day.

PS. I am thinking of eventually growing it in a more Penjing style. I have not wired this tree (if at all) for many years and would like sparser foliage and more movement.
Grant
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Grant Bowie wrote:Potting mix update for Banksia.

I have been growing a single Banksia serrata in a new potting mix for about 6 months and this particular tree looks better than I have ever seen it health wise. It is such a lovely dark green. I have had this tree for about 15 years from seed I germinated and have used it in various Banksia demonstrations; so I know the tree well.

The mix is the same as I have been using and trialling on other trees this year;
40% Diatomite
20% Zeolite or Blue metal or Gravel etc
20% Coco Peat
20% Pine bark Mini Nuggets

I will get my Banksia integrifolia into the same mix over the next month or so and see how they go as well.

Grant
Great write up, but im particularly thankful for this section.

Thanks grant.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Banksia integrifolia var compar Coast banksia 15th October 2011.JPG

Return to “Banksia”