Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Where to start?

Post by Hornet »

I collected this as a tiny seedling under a large banksia from my mums place a while ago, at a guess its about 1yr old (cant remember when i collected it exactly). Anyway i have 2 ideas on where to cut, either just above the lower shoot and wire that up as the new leader or cut at one of the higher branches, wire a new leader there and wire the lower growth down as a branch, ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Where to start?

Post by Bougy Fan »

It depends what you want from the tree. If you are happy with the trunk size then chop it, but if you want to increase the girth then plant it in a grow box or a big pot and feed and water it. Being a native you need to be careful of the P in the NPK analysis or your fert. Don't use anything with more than 3 unless you want to get another Banksia :palm:

Cutting all the growth off will just slow it down if you want to grow it on. By all means wire down any branches you want while growing it on.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Where to start?

Post by Hornet »

Cheers mate, i'll leave it as is and pot on next week :)

Return to “Banksia”