Repotting: Dry and at Night time?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Repotting: Dry and at Night time?

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey all,

Still a bit nervous about repotting after doing it for a few years. Done a few and not sure it has been the cause of a few losses and more so, as I'm repotting a friend's maple this weekend (extra pressure of doing it right!).

Two questions, which I cannot seem to get an answer to from searching the forum/webs ... keen to hear many opinions:

Q1. Should you water before you repot? My initial reaction is, "no, it's easier to work with dry soil, than wet". Also, easier to check the roots if they're rotting, etc when dry than if all wet?

Q2. Anyone ever repot at night time? I have a bunch to do this week/next ... often see people repotting in the day, and talks of keeping the tree in shade. Any reason to NOT repot at night? Assume this way too I can catch out any active bugs, pests, etc

Thanks,
Daniel
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Repotting: Dry and at Night time?

Post by Watto »

Hi Daniel,
My opinion is dryish and night is OK.
Cheers
Watto
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It certainly seems easier to comb out roots if the soil is on the dry side but wet pots are still OK.
Night or day, morning or afternoon it should not matter at all when you repot.
BTW, I do not worry too much about sun on the roots. They don't dry out that fast and can tolerate some dry anyway. Just don't leave bare root trees sitting in the sun for hours.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I don’t water before I repot because I am lazy and I find the clean up easier if the excess mix I pull off is dryish, but if I really want/need to get the job done wet roots won’t stop me.
I’ve never repotted at night, but can’t see the harm. Maybe some candle light, a few dulcet tracks and a bottle of wine... you could make a whole evening out of it! I jest... whenever you get the time will be fine by the tree I’m sure!
:yes: :beer:
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Thanks all! Was concerned that the post repot watering at night might stay tio damp overnight. Glad it's nothing to worry about. Looking to tackle an oak tomorrow night then, little wine to go with a little tree sounds good! Haha.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”