How to grow good bonsai stock like the Japanese nurseries

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: How to grow good bonsai stock like the Japanese nurseries

Post by TimS »

The reality is few of the really good bonsai ever see the public domain; be it at clubs, shows and even less frequently online. Some will share on a youtube or instagram page but it's just a safety concern for many people. I know one gentleman who has some incredibly high-quality trees who will never show them as he values his privacy above the recognition for his trees, and i wouldn't dream of trying to persuade him otherwise.

I would be very surprised if there were huge numbers of these twisty junipers about; go to any club and most people are quite content to just keep a tree pruned occasionally and in a bonsai pot. Nothing wrong with that, but the jump from that mindset to intentionally growing high quality trees is a big leap that most retirees (the usual age bracket for bonsai) would be unwilling to take.

To start the process a person must have got on the forum, found the thread, been sufficiently motivated to begin, and sufficiently motivated to continue for x number of years. It doesn't sound like the vast majority of the club members i meet, and doesn't even sound like myself!

We're talking about a handful of people at most across the country who MAY have continued for a decade at this.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

TimS wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 4:05 pm The reality is few of the really good bonsai ever see the public domain; be it at clubs, shows and even less frequently online. Some will share on a youtube or instagram page but it's just a safety concern for many people. I know one gentleman who has some incredibly high-quality trees who will never show them as he values his privacy above the recognition for his trees, and i wouldn't dream of trying to persuade him otherwise.

I would be very surprised if there were huge numbers of these twisty junipers about; go to any club and most people are quite content to just keep a tree pruned occasionally and in a bonsai pot. Nothing wrong with that, but the jump from that mindset to intentionally growing high quality trees is a big leap that most retirees (the usual age bracket for bonsai) would be unwilling to take.

To start the process a person must have got on the forum, found the thread, been sufficiently motivated to begin, and sufficiently motivated to continue for x number of years. It doesn't sound like the vast majority of the club members i meet, and doesn't even sound like myself!

We're talking about a handful of people at most across the country who MAY have continued for a decade at this.
That said, both Treeman and Shibui Bonsai have been growing and selling this kind of stock at shows for many years. Id be keen to see if any of the trees posted in this thread years ago are still going/growing.

I know a number of people around Aus that are growing these in fairly big numbers given how easy it is to take cuttings and wire initial shape. I have presented these techinques to a number of clubs around Australia also, so the info is out there. Its pretty east to grow 10-15 of these a year from cuttings off a single stock plant so you can see how you could produce a large number in a short time frame if you so desired, particularly if you begin to take cuttings off each respective batch.
Last edited by Jow on November 23rd, 2023, 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

For those looking to begin this process i can add a further shortcut to the process.

I would look to acquire the 'Itoigawa' species of juniper if you can find it. I have found it to thicken almost twice or more quickly than the standard kishu and related shimpaku varieties.

Itoigawa has its down side though as its rapid growth can lead to overly thick branches if not maintained well (and often) in more refined trees

A couple of works in progress below that have been entirely pot grown:
IMG_8210.jpg
I think this one is 5-8 years old-ish?? just beginning to cut shari into it but it is nearing 30mm thick at its base.
IMG_8212.jpg
3 years old. First year cutting was wired, grown out then re-wired again last Autumn.

In comparison the below tree (kishu or similar) is probably 20 year old and is around the same thickness as the first tree (5-8 year old one)
IMG_8168.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

I have a few going, albeit a number of years of lost growth due to lack of attention.

The ones in the 15cm terracotta pots are from 2014, 27cm from earlier, and one from Shibui bulking up nicely, and 10cm pots are last year's starts. These are mostly standard shimpaku/kishu, but the two lighter green are Itoigawa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

Looking good Scott, Will be interesting to see how you find the Itoigawa re: growth rates, I am guessing in a couple of years they will have out thickened your 2014 stock.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

The observation that itoigawa thickens quickly is interesting. I don't dabble much in junipers, but I have a couple of little ones that a member here generously sent my way. One is an itoigawa that was a cutting 18 months ago, so very young but I plant to develop as shohin in a similar way as shown on this thread. The other is a year or so older (stock standard shimpaku) that has already been bent up and twisted once. I'll be interested to see any differences in development between these because for the most part I find junipers to be really slow in thickening.
This is a great thread!
:beer:
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

I've got a batch of Shimpaku cuttings taken last year that I want to develop like this. I will take more this year as well. I bought a large stock plant for taking cuttings. I'm pretty sure it's Kishu. I don't know if anyone in WA has Itoigawa? I'm no expert at identifying but from what I've seen it seems to mostly be the chunkier foliage.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, it will be very helpful.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

I believe I only have Kishu and possible a Blaauw's.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Jow wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 8:03 am I would look to acquire the 'Itoigawa' species of juniper if you can find it. I have found it to thicken almost twice or more quickly than the standard kishu and related shimpaku varieties.
If anyone is after an Itoigawa tube stock, I can post Australia wide (except WA and TAS).
I have established cuttings about 200mm high... the parent plant being imported direct from the Kokufu sales tables, as noted in this (slightly controversial) thread:

viewtopic.php?p=264173#p264173

Just send me a PM. :yes:
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

wrcmad wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 6:55 pm
Jow wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 8:03 am I would look to acquire the 'Itoigawa' species of juniper if you can find it. I have found it to thicken almost twice or more quickly than the standard kishu and related shimpaku varieties.
If anyone is after an Itoigawa tube stock, I can post Australia wide (except WA and TAS).
I have established cuttings about 200mm high... the parent plant being imported direct from the Kokufu sales tables, as noted in this (slightly controversial) thread:

viewtopic.php?p=264173#p264173

Just send me a PM. :yes:
Itoigawa all SOLD.
Cheers
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Sold out in less than 3 hours! There's a healthy demand for Itoigawa it seems.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

The resurgence of this thread has my interest piqued a little I guess!
Went out and checked my juniper this afternoon. Just a baby in development really, but I removed the first lot of wire while I was there on the standard shimpaku. I'll re-apply in a couple of months probably and up the twistiness, also look to give the itoigawa a bit of a bend at the same time. In terms of work required these are very low maintenance at this stage of development (unless of course I'm missing something!). Just sit there and grow... what I refer to as "sleeper stock" where you don't really pay it much attention until you look at it once in a blue moon and realise there is stuff happening.
:beer:
Juniper 01.jpg
Juniper 02.jpg
Juniper 03.jpg
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I will have a few Itowigawa at the Yarra Valley sale day tomorrow. 10am - 12:00
Mike
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I didn't realise that was on... Already made plans for tomorrow :(

I've been following this project for a while: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz6cqOwR5L7/?img_index=4

Looks like it survived. Goes to show how important movement down low is - everything else can be corrected with proper technique later on.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

treeman wrote: November 24th, 2023, 3:04 pm I will have a few Itowigawa at the Yarra Valley sale day tomorrow. 10am - 12:00
I’m disappointed to have to miss this one. The quality available at the last few YVBS sale days I’ve been to has been impressive.
I have your Shin Fuku cultivar from the 2021 sale in the ground this year, and will hopefully show it off on here eventually.

Andy
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”