Chinese Elm Root Prune?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Chinese Elm Root Prune?

Post by MelaQuin »

The weather has been so mild... 19 degrees, that I have done a couple of elms, a native and atwo tridents. I just want to get stuck into the spring repotting and tomorrow IS the 1st of August.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

I pruned an elm, swamp cyprus, trident maple and a sapium. Unfortunately my son broke two branches off my jacaranda :( yesterday. Score: football 5, bonsai nil
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

EdwardH wrote:I pruned an elm, swamp cyprus, trident maple and a sapium. Unfortunately my son broke two branches off my jacaranda :( yesterday. Score: football 5, bonsai nil
I have a similar problem, but mine is netballs bouncing off the practice ring we have. No branches broken, but lots of pots knocked off benches and trees ripped out of pots :shock:

Oh well that the price of having kids outside playing :-)
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

kcpoole wrote:
EdwardH wrote:I pruned an elm, swamp cyprus, trident maple and a sapium. Unfortunately my son broke two branches off my jacaranda :( yesterday. Score: football 5, bonsai nil
I have a similar problem, but mine is netballs bouncing off the practice ring we have. No branches broken, but lots of pots knocked off benches and trees ripped out of pots :shock:

Oh well that the price of having kids outside playing :-)

i have an electric fence around where my bonsais are, primarily it's to keep the dogs away from the trees (If they get in there, they eat the trees, :cry: don't ask me why, maybe it's a jealousy thing) but I have found that it also works well to keep the kids playing with balls etc, on the other side of the yard, since if the ball goes over the fence, I tell them they have to retrieve it :twisted:

I'm very interested in this thread, and would like to know if I'm reeading this right? you can repot a chinese elm late spring? after the leaves have come? (they don't lose them here exactly) I'm still doing the dig them all up from the yard debate. (Still haven't heard back from this job hubby has applyed for)
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
john tapner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Study Group

Post by john tapner »

Hi Paddles,

Re dog eating bonsai - many years ago when one of my sons gave away working as a jackaroo he returned home with Boof, his red kelpie working dog. The first night he was in the back yard and dug up all my newly potted trees. I was at that time, and still do today, use a small amount of blood and bone in the potting mix, and that is what attracted Boof. I kindly pointed out to Boof the error of his ways and he never did it again. Boof lived with us for a further 12 years and has now gone to doggy heaven. Just a little story to start the day.................

John T
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

I don't use blood and bone, and they actually do eat the trees, you find bits of tree all around the yard.. I'm told that zelecova is a fodder tree (They really liked that one) the other ones they seem to eat is quince and box varieties :(
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

On the topic of Chinese Elms and root pruning, I've noticed with my new tree, that it has an unsightly root. Am I best to just try and hide it when I repot (i.e. pot it lower in the soil next time), or should I cut it off and if so when's the best season for that?
003.JPG
004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

I repotted and gave a root rpune to my chinese elm about 4 weeks ago. it loved it! It was stating to get leaves pening, and heaps of buds. I didn't give it a huge root prune, cauase it was going into a large pot for growing, but man it's taken off. Branches, buds and leaves everywhere ^_^
My japanese maple took off in a similar way with the same thing. repot into a pig pot, bit of a root prune adn BANG. They are emga healthy!!
But we are having SUPERB weather up here ^_^

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”