Bonsai Wiring - Free Colin Lewis Class

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Bonsai Wiring - Free Colin Lewis Class

Post by lackhand »

I'm not sure if anybody else has stumbled on this, but just in case nobody has yet, I thought I would share this great online resource. There is also a paid class on developing bonsai. I was impressed enough with the free wiring technique video that I bought the other one, and I was quite impressed with it as well. Money well spent, with good instruction from a master.

http://www.craftsy.com/class/bonsai-wir ... dum&_ctp=2

This definitely helped me improve my wiring technique with a strong foundation that I'm sure I will build on for years.
Cheers, Karl
MOGGINATOR
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fig
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Bonsai Wiring - Free Colin Lewis Class

Post by MOGGINATOR »

wow just watched that class that was a great eye opener on the stuff ups i have been making for any beginner i suggest watching it its free and a great experience
I like gardening - it's a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

MOGGINATOR wrote:wow just watched that class that was a great eye opener on the stuff ups i have been making for any beginner i suggest watching it its free and a great experience

Yes I thought so, too. I guess when you can't attend a club where they teach you the correct technique, this would be a good start - it could also complement teachings ... and for some, like myself, you can go back over the same thing over and over without annoying those more experienced! :lol:
Cheers
Elmar
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Posted it a while back, but is a good reminder anyways, as its a great basic lesson on wiring. Definately something every beginner should check out :) :cool:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18303&p=186543&hili ... is#p186543
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

I thought somebody had posted something, I guess I should have searched first. :whistle:

I paid for the bonsai design class as well, and thought it was worth the money. I definitely learned a few new tricks that will be helpful. It focuses mostly on junipers. Also, it's probably most valuable if you don't have good teachers available, so if you're already going to a good club, may not be worth it. I'm glad I bought it though. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Karl
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

lackhand wrote:I thought somebody had posted something, I guess I should have searched first. :whistle:

I paid for the bonsai design class as well, and thought it was worth the money. I definitely learned a few new tricks that will be helpful. It focuses mostly on junipers. Also, it's probably most valuable if you don't have good teachers available, so if you're already going to a good club, may not be worth it. I'm glad I bought it though. :mrgreen:
I was curious about the other course actually, did you think it was worth the money? I hesitate to pay for an online course with something so hands on, but being Colin Lewis I thought it might actually be pretty good
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Jason wrote:
lackhand wrote:I thought somebody had posted something, I guess I should have searched first. :whistle:

I was curious about the other course actually, did you think it was worth the money? I hesitate to pay for an online course with something so hands on, but being Colin Lewis I thought it might actually be pretty good
I thought it was worth it. The course is set up pretty well, with chances for hands on work (on your own tree of course) and you can upload pictures of your work for Colin to critique and discuss. I am no pro, but I've been playing with trees for a few years, and I still picked up a few tips I hadn't seen/heard before.

Disclaimers:
  • *my local club isn't very good, so that increases the relative value for me
    *I'm a huge fan of Colin Lewis, he was the artist that really got me into bonsai
    *it's geared pretty heavily towards junipers, so to get the most out of the course you really should have one to work on
Cheers, Karl
tygcaldwell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tygcaldwell »

Just noticed this course is 39% off until midnight. Was $43.99 now $26.99. I think the midnight is American time so should be a few extra hours for all you night owls.
Last edited by tygcaldwell on April 13th, 2015, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”