Watering Japanese Maple

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Watering Japanese Maple

Post by Psymo »

Do you mean submerging the pot in water paddles or wetting the leafs?

On black Saturday it was stupid hot and that whole week was like zero huidity and in the high 30's to 40's. I'm contemplating a drip system with a timer for when i'm at work if we get a week like that again.
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

I have a plastic tub (Again one of the under bed ones) that I fill with water from the fishpond filter, I then place the pots in the water, usually with the water coming up to the brim of the pot, not over. I usually leave the pot sit there for a few minutes, to half a day, to overnight (Depending on when I remember to take it out) and as yet have not lost a tree to overwatering. However we have a hot dry climate here, so things dry out quickly.

If the pot is too big for dunking (Like grow boxes) I use a standard watering can with a rose. and water, but again, I stick my fingers in to check if they need water before giving them any.

I've had a dripper system, andd found that it did not work very well, I'm told sprays are better, never got around to rebuilding tho, because I prefer to hand water and talk to my trees :D I find on hot days, that the trees seem to do ok, but my trees are kept in a shadecloth covered pergola, with vines up the sides to provide shelter in summer
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus

Post by Psymo »

Sound like a good set up to me.
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by Jordy »

Your pergola sounds wonderful! :D

I'm jealous that all I have is my back deck.

unfortunately i'm a tasmanian and our weather is completely and utterly random most of the time, although comparatively Tasmania is mostly cold and wet (as i'm sure most of you are aware of)
so i'd prefer not to overwater it :D

I'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

but thankyou all for your input!
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

Anttal,

Pup said it more eloquently than I ever could, so I'll not push the subject, other than to say there are good physical reasons (the dreaded science type) why you simply can't say you cannot over water with modern mixes.

Plants demand for water varies with the seasons, and the physical properties of potting mixes change over time, affecting the water holding capacity of the mix.

As for where I've been? I've pretty much become a lurker on here and other forums. Basically I'm flat out like a one armed paper hanger, repotting, working and climbing.

Cheers

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

Re Paddles dunking system
I tend to dump mine in a deep puddle of water and wait for all the bubbles to stop coming out.
This is my norm if Im worried I might be too close to drying out.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

paul no probs each to their own. :D i still stand by my statement. ;) good to hear you're alive and well! :D
Regards Antonio:
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

I'm by no means an expert on anything do with bonsai as yet, given I'm only a year in!! BUT I'm in Brissie and even now it's getting quite warm during the day, some days (today seems to be an exception).
I'm finding I'm having to water every day at the moment. I'm not looking forward to summer where I'm away from 7am-6pm!! I currently water early in the morning before I leave for work.
I typically give the swamp cypress and wisteria a bit more than the others.
Back when I was even more of a newbie, I lost a couple fo trees to underwatering, so I'm being alot more pedantic about it, and so far all of my tree's are loving spring and growing really well ^_^

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”