How to harvest native cuttings?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Bajiru
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 1

How to harvest native cuttings?

Post by Bajiru »

Hello!

I've been given the opportunity to take native cuttings from virgin bush at a chum's property up on the coast and am really excited about it.

For years, I've been enamoured of Japanese Maple, Trident Maple and of course Black Pine. Some of the very fine examples I saw as a kid at the Japanese school in Terrey Hills and at the homes of school friends, teachers and later friends and colleagues in Japan only fuelled the addiction.

However, after finding out that Aussie natives can be made into rather respectable bonsai I'm very keen to give it a try. Even better, now I have the time and all to give to doing it. I've seen some images of some very lovely banksia and others - very powerful and emotive shapes worthy of long contemplation even by the funkiest bozu.

If it is possible, could someone share some hints on harvesting native trees for bonsai? I'm very keen to give it a shot.

I guess the main questions are:
* What kind of branches to choose? What min or max diameter?
* How to cut those?
* How to prep those to grow roots?
* What preliminary care is needed to encourage growth ahead of branch and root pruning?
* What kind of time scale to work to, roughly?

I have some rooting hormone and have worked with cuttings from some exotic chillies and others (Bhut jolokia, Seven pod, etc), so have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)

Sorry for the dullard n00b questions, but I still have my 'L' plates on and doubtless will for a very long time.

Cheers - Bajiru.
Baka gaijin. Nihonophile. Bonsai neophyte. \(^_^)/
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: How to harvest native cuttings?

Post by Bretts »

It's a question I am wondering myself at the moment. After killing a gum I have two left. Unsure of the species but it has desirable qualities. Would be simpler to make sure I have made cuttings of it before I kill the other two when they come out of the ground. Than to find a replacement :)
I would like to know what age/size cuttings are the most viable and at what time?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

The most important question is what species. Not all are treated the same some will only do it from seed others from tip cuttings others will do from old wood.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hmm I was thinking gums myself and hoped they where all in much the same bracket?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I think Baji mentioned Banksia
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:I think Baji mentioned Banksia
G,day Brett & Baji
I have just been going though my books. All the Eucalyptus species info says by seed as with Banksia. So by trying cuttings when they are active. Could give you some results, which if successful can be passed on. As I have enough tree's I will not be trying it.
Melaleucas by seed or semi hard wood cuttings.
These ones I know will take from cuttings. Callistemon ( bottlebrush ) can be struck from cutting of 25-30 mms This one I have done, and of the Melaleucas.
I have done ,M rhaphiophylla ,M, cuticularis M,preissiana M,alternifolia, M, parviflora M incana M,quinquenervia M, linophylla. I have struck these at 20 mms.
These are ones I have had success with. :) Pup

The Koreshoff's book on Natives also shows how to collect Gums by cutting the roots on one side then going back and doing the other side. Then collecting.
I have not tried this so I cannot say yes or no. :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Pup. Fly was the first to suggest cuttings of the gums to me maybe he knows when to do them ?
I know of those techniques you state of Koreshoff's. I am thinking I might as well go for the full ground layer if I am going that far. ;)
Bajiru
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bajiru »

Thanks for all the fast replies! Greatly appreciated.

There are a couple of really great looking Banksia spp. I think they're Coastals. Those are my main target this time as most of the branches have visible age and gnarliness.

So, if I understand you correctly, basically I should be looking for an active branch that is only semi-hard, preferably showing new leaf and bud. Is this correct? Is 15 - 20 mm diameter and say 150 - 200 length OK or should I be looking for slimmer/fatter or longer/shorter?

There are, naturally enough, a lot of various eucalypt species on that land, so will take a look to see if any excite me enough to take a cutting. Thinking about it, some of those could look rather sensational after five or ten years.

Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers - Bajiru.
Bajiru
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bajiru »

Ended up grabbing about eight tip cuttings (6 - 9 mm diameter, 50 - 90 mm long) with good fresh growth and planting in a 2:2:2:1 mix of vermiculite - prop sand - coco peat - Aus native potting mix (low phos).

Add water, plastic bags and fingers crossed. :)

I collected one rather nice looking piece - it just seemed to have texture but it was around dusk so didn't get to inspect it until the next day. The texture was significant borer (or similar) activity. Bagged, sealed, binned. Oh well.

I've been invited back to go digging up specimens further out on his lot another time this month or next, so will report back if I find anything interesting.

Cheers - Bajiru.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”