Moving a Chinese Elm to a grow box

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Moving a Chinese Elm to a grow box

Post by Japh »

Hey everyone, I've just moved my Chinese Elm into a grow box! I did a blog post on the whole process, which I'd absolutely love to get feedback on if you don't mind: Migrating A Chinese Elm To A Grow Box

In particular, I'd appreciate if anyone can have a closer look at the photo of the roots after I've taken the tree out of its bonsai pot. Does that look like it was re-potted a month ago to you guys?

There's a small layer of gravel at the very bottom that the roots were tangled in. Also, I had to extracate the small piece of mesh from the roots that was covering the drainage hole.

Edit: added photo of roots here, for those who'd rather not read the blog post, but might have insight to share ;)
07_chinese_elm_roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Japh on September 17th, 2009, 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Moving a Chinese Elm to a grow box

Post by anttal63 »

hey japh put the progression up on aus bonsai. its here that we are building a datbase full of knowledge. then i will be more than happy to comment. :D please dont be offended but my motto is you get back what you put in. :D
Regards Antonio:
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

anttal63 wrote:hey japh put the progression up on aus bonsai. its here that we are building a datbase full of knowledge. then i will be more than happy to comment. :D please dont be offended but my motto is you get back what you put in. :D
Hi Ant, I'm not offended mate, and trust me I'm putting in here don't you worry! :)

As the blog post is quite large, I didn't want to post the whole thing in a thread, because it seems too big. I also don't think the style of writing or my level is necessarily quite right either.

Keep in mind that these things compliment each other. If you'd still prefer not to comment, I'll understand.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Japh wrote:
anttal63 wrote:hey japh put the progression up on aus bonsai. its here that we are building a datbase full of knowledge. then i will be more than happy to comment. :D please dont be offended but my motto is you get back what you put in. :D
Hi Ant, I'm not offended mate, and trust me I'm putting in here don't you worry! :)

As the blog post is quite large, I didn't want to post the whole thing in a thread, because it seems too big. I also don't think the style of writing or my level is necessarily quite right either.

Keep in mind that these things compliment each other. If you'd still prefer not to comment, I'll understand.
all good mate. i just meant the tree you're asking about, not your whole blog. :D as a rule personally i like it all on the forum im looking at, no time to surf around. :roll: :D
Regards Antonio:
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

:arrow: i dropped you a comment on potensai...

and i mentioned teasing the roots, did you do this :?:

because if you haven't already sorted the roots, i would certainly start working on the nebari/roots before you grow it out :idea:

what the roots do may even change your view on the styling of this tree altogether :!:

all im saying is get amongst that rootball :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

anttal63 wrote:all good mate. i just meant the tree you're asking about, not your whole blog. :D as a rule personally i like it all on the forum im looking at, no time to surf around. :roll: :D
Oh right, yeah, I already have a thread here about the tree in general. I assumed some people might not like to browse around, which is why I included the photo of the roots here too :D
aaron_tas wrote::arrow: i dropped you a comment on potensai...

and i mentioned teasing the roots, did you do this :?:

because if you haven't already sorted the roots, i would certainly start working on the nebari/roots before you grow it out :idea:

what the roots do may even change your view on the styling of this tree altogether :!:

all im saying is get amongst that rootball :D
Thanks, Aaron! Much appreciated :) I did tease the roots out a bit yeah. I was apprehensive about doing anything like this with the tree after what the guy I bought it from told me... but it doesn't look freshly potted to me, so perhaps I can disregard his advisement?

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

after seeing the roots have obviously grown enough to hold all of the soil in the exact shape of the pot...

and the fact that this tree is still young, not forgetting how forgiving elm are when they are healthy...

MY advice would be to do all your initial work on the roots before you make them thick and therefore harder to move later :!:

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

aaron_tas wrote:after seeing the roots have obviously grown enough to hold all of the soil in the exact shape of the pot...

and the fact that this tree is still young, not forgetting how forgiving elm are when they are healthy...

MY advice would be to do all your initial work on the roots before you make them thick and therefore harder to move later :!:

:D
Great! I might pull him back out and scruff him up a bit before putting him back in then, because I really don't feel I loosened them enough.

Might also be a good chance to check out exactly what's going on with that ugly root...

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

I use styro boxes all the time as intermediate planters when moving from field to pots. Lining the bottom with paper is a dangerous activity as it will prevent drainage, it also takes along time for paper to rot, better to cover the holes with mesh, simply pin the mesh in place with wire staples. However, it is simple to pull the paper out of the holes so that it drains, so you don't have to start again. I've never used attapulgite. How long does it remain in pellet form? Will it fall apart after a few months of being wet?

If it was my tree I would have totally bare rooted the tree and prune the roots to start developing the nebari before planting in the box.

I find field growing trees fattens the trunk faster than box growing.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Japh, to answer your Question, no it does not look like it was re potted in the last month. I would say by looking probably 1- may be 1 and a half years.
Paul has suggested you bare root it.
That is the best way to go about sorting out the roots early. As you look at the roots when it is bare.
Have a look for some interesting shapes for potential new tree's.
As root cuttings, Chinese elms are one of the best and easiest to do this way. Just remember which way is up when you plant them out. ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Yes i definitely agree. At least a year since attention has been paid to that root system. I would not dally bare rooting and teasing out the root system.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

Thanks everyone, I might give it a go tonight, if the light hasn't disappeared by the time I finish working. Otherwise, tomorrow lunch time.

Should I completely bare-root it (if so... how does one do that?! ;)), or just tease out the root-ball?
Last edited by Japh on September 17th, 2009, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

Japh,

I just posted an article on bare rooting trident maples. I treat Elms in a similar fashion.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Well, looking at it i would cut of the bottom 10mm or so and then run a hose on jet through the rest of it,. You could probably tease it out with your fingers and finish with a rake. Cut around and leave 1/3 of the rootball and repot. If you are doing other preparation for your nebari like a stone underneath etc do it now also. The whole job should only take 10 mins or so. Cheers
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

I managed to find a dinner plater especially for arranging the roots over... but it's about 10mm too wide for the grow box! :(

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”