unwanted buds on trunks

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
dale
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fukien tea
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Townsville

unwanted buds on trunks

Post by dale »

re: excess budding on trunk
I have a problem with excess buds forming on the trunk and base of phyllanthus multiflorus and wrightia religiosa, similar to the huge flush of new growth on my callistemons and melaleucas in the garden which followed a major prune (pollarded actually, to minimise weight of branches in case of cyclone).

Can anyone suggest a way to stop these buds, they do not rub off easily as they already have a strong stem when the first pair of leaves push past the thick bark. I tried an application of Japanese Cut Paste (the putty) but they just came through. Kiyonal wound paste (the latex based one in the tube) stops them but dries to a particularly ugly shiny plate.

a day without gardeing is a day wasted
dale
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: unwanted buds on trunks

Post by Pup »

Cut them off with branch cutter then seal it again. Cut them off with branch cutter then seal it again.
The reason I repeated it Dale is that is the process till they stop. As they say in the add it wont happen over night but it will happen. :)

Pup ;)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”