Torment or Torture

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Torment or Torture

Post by alpineart »

This is a bloody good example of what a pine with cope with as far as trunk reduction is concerned These tree were deliberately targeted averaging 40-80mm trunks 8-10 feet high and around 5-8 years old , thats a 90-95%reduction in height .No fella's you wont read this in you text books or learn it in your classes , this is field trial material in eradication methods to save money ,time and minimal chemical use and anything else of value that the test conducted achieved .These pines were deliberately slashed with a mulching mower to test the method against chemical spraying . Chemical spraying is 90% effective in eradication but very time consuming and expensive .Slashing is cost effective however it has a 98 % failure rate . Why , because if a single shoot even a bud under the bark is left behind it will sprout , therefore the tree will continue to grow .Would you do this to a Bonsai .
100_3938.jpg
100_3937.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Re: Torment or Torture

Post by FlyBri »

Gday AA!

Not that I'm one to put my mind to purposely killing trees (well, not often), but I can't help but wonder what would happen if you were to slash one year and spray the next. :?: Probably still time consuming, but I imagine the cost of the chemicals would be a lot less, given the reduced foliage load.

Then again, if you increased the effectiveness of the eradication process, you would no longer be able to collect potential Bonsai Pinuses like the ones you've posted recently. Perhaps you'll have to go and dig them all by hand... ;)

Fly.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Torment or Torture

Post by alpineart »

Hi Fly , Noxious weed control is a major issue and spraying is expensive because you have to hit the target .Broadacre spraying is impossible because of the terrain .Yes chop 1 year and spray the next is one method "very expensive ",the other sure fire method is to control burn the area's unfortunately even the Dept of Sparks and Embers cant control their burns so The Councils are very reluctant to inbrace their methods .Digging out is the other effective method ,i volunteered my services again this time to a local border shire to assist in the removal of self sown Wildlings from a section of puplic land .
100_3939.jpg
The park was cleared in less than 2 hours .I did explain to Alex "Managing supervisor" of Parks and Gardens my intentions . 80 pines 75%chop tops 25%seedlings and my future Nursery grows
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”