What could be the issue?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
JimmyBanks
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

What could be the issue?

Post by JimmyBanks »

G’day all,

I recently visited a Native Nursery to collect some plants with the thought of possibly entering them into the Natural Native Comp.

I got 12 in seedling stock and repotted them into slightly bigger pots. They all look like they are doing ok except this one... It looks like it’s dying. I can’t remember what it is either which doesn’t help at all - I forgot to get the labels as I picked them up.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone could help with the issue here? It’s been getting good water, the same as the other plants, but the leaves are looking like they are a bit burnt.

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: What could be the issue?

Post by shibui »

You are correct that the leaves look burnt. The problem is that there are several different reasons that all produce similar symptoms.
1. Sunburn: Plants that have been grown in shade and moved into direct sunlight do not have good sun hardy leaves. Tender leaves will burn but the plant will adjust and new leaves are usually adjusted to the conditions. No need to worry, the tree will sort this out.
2. Lack of water: You say it has been getting good water but sometimes 'good watering' does not penetrate the mix and reach the roots. I would be surprised if that's the cause if your others are getting similar care and are OK.
3. Lack of roots: Not enough roots to pick up the necessary water means the plant dries out even though there's enough in the mix. No indication if you have root pruned when repotting so I assume you did not? Most will recover from this as new roots grow. Other root problems can cause the same symptoms, again because there are not enough working roots to supply the water needed, but I doubt that any root rot would have affected this plant in a short time.

This does not look like any fungal or pest problem that I'm familiar with so I would just monitor and see what happens.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyBanks
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by JimmyBanks »

Thanks for the reply shibui should I be removing the burnt leaves and putting it in the shade or leave it and let the new leaves develop?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Removing burnt leaves is just aesthetic. It will nether help or hinder the tree's recovery so it is entirely up to you.
Moving to the shade is only an option if you want to keep it in shade for long term but I believe that most natives do far better in more sunnier place.. Most will quickly adjust to the sunnier place and grow new leaves that are more sun hardy. Nothing to worry about :imo: unless the problem continues to get worse.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”