New root over rock tridents 2019

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

New root over rock tridents 2019

Post by shibui »

Mid winter is the time I usually start digging the trees from my grow beds.
I like to start with the Root over Rock trees because unwrapping those is better than Christmas. Roots and rock have been buried for a whole year so there's no telling whether any tree will be great or terrible.

Here's the row of ROR before I started. You may be able to make out the foil just sticking up above ground level.
ROR row40.jpg
A good arrangement of roots running naturally over the rock is imperative with root over rock bonsai. Gaps between the rock and roots detract from the look and the roots should hold onto the rock so it won't move around. There's also the overall shape to consider. Trunk and rock need to give harmonious lines and shape.
All that means that there is plenty that can go wrong and make the whole project worthless - just a couple of roots that didn't develop :x or one growing too large :cry: .........

Tension builds.....Will it be good or not :?:
P1220153 40.jpg

Roots are holding the rock well on this one. Now that I can see the root and rock arrangement I can cut the roots back to just below the rock and then prune the top.
P1220154 90.jpg
This one looks good from both sides which is great because it will give more options for future shaping of the tree so I've left extra leaders for now. Decisions on which line to follow can be made depending on where and how new shoots grow this summer.
P1220155 70.jpg

Here's another one that looks good front and back.
P1220163 60.jpg
P1220164 50.jpg
That one was supposed to b a nice small tree on a small rock but obviously the tree had other ideas so now it will have to be styled as a larger tree on a small rock. That's one of the drawbacks of field growing - trees can easily get out of hand.

And finally another good looking root arrangement.
P1220165 70.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: New root over rock tridents 2019

Post by Watto »

I have been convinced to go and dig a couple of tridents this week now. These look to have good potential and the work that you have put into these looks to be very worthwhile.
Thanks for the post, inspirational.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Always inspiring seeing what you're doing with your trees!

Thanks for sharing these.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Your root over rocks are looking good. Enjoy seeing your trees from the grow beds :D
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Yeah excellent post Neil. Thanks for taking the time. Great pictures and moreover, excellent stock for people who like the root over rock style.

Love your passion ... ‘better than Xmas’ ... now .. hmmm ... can I convince my daughters of such ... if so, one day they might actually be interested in this patient art! Actually - I might be kidding myself but it does seem that they are more interested than they were and indeed, so are some of my nieces and nephews ... there’s something in slowing down from time to time and bonsai helps us do that; even if that means burying a rock and waiting a year for the surprise.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

Great work Neil. Any chance some of these beauties are making down to Melbourne onto the Sales table at Bonsai Northwest's show (plug 27-28 July 2019)? BTW everyone, Neil will be selling his bonsai stock at our show. Details here of show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXv1m5-Mro
Thanks
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I’m gonna try my best to get to that show. I have not been to a BNW club meeting but I have always been impressed from a distance. Looking forward to it - just got to juggle the diary a bit. :-)

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Good plug David :tu:
These new ones won't make the BNW sales tables this year but I do have a couple from last year that are now ell established in pots and ready for someone else to take them further toward show trees. Also a range of other species and sizes.
I'm also happy to include pre orders in that load so if any Melbourne members are looking for anything in particular contact me direct and you can save on delivery cost.
I already have Luke's chojubai ready and waiting.
I’m gonna try my best to get to that show. I have not been to a BNW club meeting but I have always been impressed from a distance.
I'm more than happy to confirm that BNW put on a great show. Just need to let the eyes adjust to the low light a bit before having a closer look at the display trees.
Usually heaps of sales stock from starters through to mature bonsai so something for everyone at Footscray later this month.
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

Always excited to see what you bring down Neil. Your stock usually flies out the door.
You have chojubai stock!!??? I'm sure there will be many who want to grab them as well.
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Only a couple of Chojubai for the tables because Luke has already purchased most of the existing stock.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

It is worth noting here that not all Root over Rock plantings succeed. I mentioned earlier that many things can go wrong. Some are physical, others are aesthetic.
Here's one of this years ROR tridents that has not worked as well as expected - physical problem.
P1220072 50.jpg
The roots were not wrapped right around the rock so when I tried to shake off the soil the rock dropped out :palm:

This one is probably recoverable. I've replaced the rock as best I can and tied the roots in place, making sure that some of them are pulled around all sides and underneath the rock.
P1220073 50x80.jpg
Another year of growing should see the roots strong enough to grip this rock tight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”