Portulacaria ... Forest... Nigel

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Portulacaria ... Forest... Nigel

Post by MJL »

Ok - I might get rubbished for this post. Go easy - I'll provide some warnings first so people can switch off if they desire.
  • Some on this forum are not big on forest plantings and landscapes.... this video is that.
  • Some are not fond of Portulacaria (which I think is Jade) and I have seen some robust debates about jade as bonsai...
  • Some prefer other bonsai channels than Nigel's Bonsai Zone.
Personally I think this is quite an instructive video for those interested in forest plantings and how to arrange plants for perspective.

So "Here I go" ....see what I did there. (That's Nigel's saying ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQd-ikvB4mc

For those that do watch - enjoy. Not so much exciting as helpful. This is part two ... ya probably don't need part one. Up to you.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Portulacaria ... Forest... Nigel

Post by TimS »

Some of his trees and plantings I actually quite like (larch group probably the main one, his Austrian Pine too would be nice with better refinement I believe).

I definitely fall into the category of disliking portulacaria both as bonsai and just generally. With the limitations of Canada though, and his....err.....enthusiasm for tropical plants, one must allow that the options are limited.

I’m surprised he gets pretty good growth given his tropicals are packed in pot tight to a conservatory/ greenhouse for what must be the best part of 6 months of the year, and his “growing” season outdoors incredibly short.

I like his enthusiastic approach, it keeps me grounded in a hobby that can be a bit serious. Sure the quality of his trees doesn’t match the amount of time he puts into them yet (he keeps doing those big trunk chops) but it reminds me to stop and just enjoy my trees some days when I’m feeling a bit confused or uninspired.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”