Kaneshin tool size recommendation

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
xgenshinx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Kaneshin tool size recommendation

Post by xgenshinx »

Hey all,

Need a bit of assistance with selecting some kaneshin tools. The massive number of different sizes is a bit overwhelming!

Looking at picking up a pair of Branch (concave) Cutters, a pair of Knob Cutters and maybe a Saw if we can get those through customs to nsw? I'm after a good sort of general purpose size if anyone can help with advice?

Bit of background. The majority of my trees are nursery stock of different sizes developing thick trunks and movement but some are being refined in pots.

I currently have the following other tools:
Good quality secateurs for larger branches
Flower snips for smaller branches, leaves
Wire cutters
Root rake
Low quality root shears

Thanks in advance!!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Kaneshin tool size recommendation

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi,
I like the branch cutters (3A) if you are after the straight edge. Good blade length and I like the feel of the handle profile (I also sampled the 3S but preferred these ones).
Knob cutters I have #10 but I feel like they might be a bit small, I would look at the #11, feel like they might be a better option being a bit larger blade size.
Don’t know about saw but need to get one so anybody with feedback - I’d appreciate it!
In terms of quality, you can’t go wrong... great to deal with Kaneshin. :yes:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Kaneshin tool size recommendation

Post by MJL »

Re:the knob cutter - I have no.11 and find it a really useful tool. I’m glad it’s not smaller because sometimes even no.11 is on the small side. Tricky to provide advice because tools are all relative to your collection and needs at any given time. I know you’ve got one already but for interest the two Kaneshin tools that I love are the two-pronged root rake (55) and the drop forge tweezers (63A) - even though I have a root hook - the rake (and tweezers) are so tough and strong that they are used for a variety of tasks from quite ‘rough’ root work where there’s no fear of the tool bending to poking, prodding, loosening pulling, teasing, organising root spread and using the flat end of the rake to tamp down moss and stones after repotting too. I’ll often carry the tweezers around with me to pull weeds, scrape soil to check nebari, poke soil into roots after re-potting... I’d be lost without these two tough little tools. Enjoy building out your set ... part of the fun of the hobby, I reckon.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”