Info on The dreaded Jade.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus,Bougainvillea juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Queensland

Info on The dreaded Jade.

Post by jgmansell »

Hi all,
I know that Jade as bonsai are almost a taboo subject to many, [although I have seen some pretty nice specimens online], but I am looking for some more advice. A couple of days ago I was given a large neglected plant that hadn't been touched for years and thought it would make a nice bonsai style. I have removed a few dead branches and would like to repot it as the soil is dead and the whole pot seems to be filled with roots. My question is, how much root can I remove at a time? It seems that I would need to remove a lot of root to get it into a bonsai pot and have read that they are very susceptible to root rot. I am in Brisbane.

Thanks
John
IMG_3616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maryo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: deciduous
Bonsai Club: goulburn

Re: Info on The dreaded Jade.

Post by maryo »

you really should not have a problem living in Brisbane. I have found that jade (which I do not have a problem with) do prefer to be drier in the cooler months. But up there I guess you would not go below 20. The good thing with Jade they are very tough and have no probem with root cutting. But you will have to wire the plant in cause it does take awhile for the roots to stablise the plant again.
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

maryo wrote: August 11th, 2019, 4:08 pm you really should not have a problem living in Brisbane. I have found that jade (which I do not have a problem with) do prefer to be drier in the cooler months. But up there I guess you would not go below 20. The good thing with Jade they are very tough and have no probem with root cutting. But you will have to wire the plant in cause it does take awhile for the roots to stablise the plant again.
Thanks Maryo, I thought they would take a pretty severe root prune but just wanted to be sure. I have just read that after repotting they should not be watered for a while to prevent root rot, so will have a go next week.
john
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi JG,
Last summer I started work on "re-styling" a couple of old root-bound potted jade plants that were just neglected pot plants. I couldn't even get them out of the terracotta pots they were in and had to break the pots to get them out. The pots they were a solid mass of roots. I cut about 75% if not more of the roots off and cut the branches back very short, leaving virtually only a trunk with some stumps attached. After repotting I watered them in well and supported them with a stake each. They are now very healthy and I keep pinching back the new growth to ramify them.
My advice is, go in hard, they are almost indestructable. I also planted several of the bigger branches and they are also very healthy and growing well.
Sorry, I don't have any photos.
Cheers, Frank.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You can definitely cut the roots and branches as hard as necessary. These will grow as really large cuttings so even just a few roots left will ensure it survives.
When transplanting into a bonsai pot cut roots back to ensure there is enough space in the new pot for new roots, don't just cut the minimum to fit it in the new pot.
Branches can also be cut back really hard if required. They will sprout from older, bare wood.
Regular pruning and pinching as new shoots grow does give better ramification and smaller leaves so you can actually build up foliage pads eventually.

Jade, like many succulents, is susceptible to overwatering so let it dry out a bit more than most species between watering. Less fertiliser is needed because reduced watering does not leach out nutrients as much as most bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgmansell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jgmansell »

Thanks Raging Bull and Shibui, I feel much more confident after your advice. I am happy that I am not the only one who keeps Jade bonsai, for an amateur like me, I am an expert at killing trees, so I will see how this goes.
John

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”