Developing an Australian Bonsai Style/Culture

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Developing an Australian Bonsai Style/Culture

Post by TimS »

Also factor in that styles change over time; if you look at old kokufu books you will see that what was popular with species and style in the 70’s bears little resemblance to what is currently being cultivated. In Penjing there are vast regional differences across China in how their trees are grown and displayed.

All I mean to say is, let’s strive first and foremost to enjoy our hobby, and grow trees in styles we like in ways that are good for the long term health of the trees. Let the rest follow as it will; coming up with a definitive look would likely stall the hobby rather than expand it if people let their creativity or own experience guide them
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Jiro wrote: September 16th, 2019, 10:12 pm brilliant post MJL, you make some excellent points. I enjoyed the long walk and your casuarina forest planting. Thank you.
Thanks for the feedback Jiro. Well done to you for starting this thread - it will surely stimulate a respectful discussion with views as wide as our vast land. And hey, you didn’t fart in a lift :) but you did open the can ;) ... you can be sure that the metaphorical worms (in the form of ideas and thoughts) will now aerate the thread much as they would the soil in the garden. I look forward to more discussion.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I don't think that there should be An Australian Style, as such, because it's too limiting. But I agree that bonsai can and should refer to bigger issues more than it does. I'm also really not keen on lots of words - if it's not there in the tree, it can get perilously close to art-jargon, marketing or just getting intoxicated by word-fairy-floss.

Trees can mean something, bonsai folk, trees can reflect our individual personalities and where we live. I know more about the cultural significance of Camellias than I do about Kunzeas - this is not right.

("Neat is the enemy of Art" - discuss! There's another can of worms...)

All the best. More trees, less words.

Gavin
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Jiro »

Gamauji I agree with you on all fronts. I'm not saying let's set out to make or force something. Just wanting to discuss things for inspiration.
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

Jiro wrote: September 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm Gamauji I agree with you on all fronts. I'm not saying let's set out to make or force something. Just wanting to discuss things for inspiration.
Definitely. There needs to be discussion and a little more humility. Everyone has potential to learn.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

We should be out there learning and gathering information and techniques about bonsai and penjing, taking that knowledge and applying it to our native species in such a way that it reflects our environment around us.

I was brought up in the country as a kid. So old sandstone buildings and corrugated iron roofs influence me when it comes to pot designs.

I remember when I was young I would walk in the dry creek beds seeing gum trees clinging to the sides with roots exposed with twisted trunks showing the effects of past floods. How do I represent that? I don't know but I'm trying to figure it out.

Now I am older the twisted snow gums out in the snowy mountains offer great inspiration. How many of you have seen those twisting snow gums?

I believe exploring and understanding these landscapes that are unique to Australia is what will build the foundations for a great Australian bonsai culture.

There is always a place for traditional bonsai as that provides the fountain skills to allow us to interpret into use on our native species. Visiting international artists provide refreshing ideas and new skills to allow us to grow our own bonsai community.

Anyway that's how I see it more or less.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote: September 17th, 2019, 2:50 pm I don't think that there should be An Australian Style, as such, because it's too limiting. But I agree that bonsai can and should refer to bigger issues more than it does. I'm also really not keen on lots of words - if it's not there in the tree, it can get perilously close to art-jargon, marketing or just getting intoxicated by word-fairy-floss.

Trees can mean something, bonsai folk, trees can reflect our individual personalities and where we live. I know more about the cultural significance of Camellias than I do about Kunzeas - this is not right.

("Neat is the enemy of Art" - discuss! There's another can of worms...)

All the best. More trees, less words.

Gavin
:lol:
Damn that’s freakin funny.

But also very well said.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I like Gavin's take on it. Aussies don't need no stinkin rules...

Reckon we just need to keep learning how best to utilise our native material so that we can produce reliable results with them...
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I have been viewing this thread as a discussion on what may make elements of an Australian approach, style or culture ... not a thread intended to make rules or develop strict guidance to adhere too but to collectively discuss influences, thoughts and actions that over time may organically develop into a style where someone might say ... "Oh, that has an Australian feel". Or not. It matters not whether this occurs or doesn't.

Yet, even with my ambivalence to rules, I find this discussion interesting for no other reason than... it's ... well... interesting. :) It probably means that I have way too much time on my hands to read and write stuff. As Gavin noted - less words, more pictures. OK Gavin. I think it's time to break the candle below. :tu2:
IMG_6785.jpg
Personally, I don't like structure nor rules for rules sake - but my improved understanding techniques, history etc.. helps to enhance my skills which hopefully, improves my bonsai. Discussions like this help me think about what I am intending to achieve with each project ... am I just banging plants in pots or exploring channels of inspiration; remembering to draw on my surroundings and influences. Or at least try too. Indeed, for most of us - this influence will occur whether conscious or not. It's embedded.

One final point because I am waffling ... again. :whistle: I reckon I can see the 'mark' of certain bonsai people in their work. I can make educated guesses and think to myself that looks like something Mike might do. Or something Boom might do, or Scott Martin or .... artists kinda of have a style or leave the mark ... on purpose, or not. Isn't this the discussion here ... just that on a macro scale? "Hmmm, that's of classic Japanese influence"... or Vietnamese or British ...and one day perhaps Australia. Or not.

Cheers all.

(PS - Jiro - I have mis-interpreted your intent, apologies. I will shut up now. Maybe. ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

All worthwhile points Mark, and everyone else.

The one thing I'd love to be able to do is recreate the smell of the Australian bush to go with the trees....as someone with no sense of smell anymore, it's the one thing I miss about going bush. Wouldn't it be grand if you could find a way to not only give the trees the essence of Oz by looking at them, but to also sweep you back to being outside amongst the trees just by catching a whiff of the leaves/soil/or whatever else makes your part of Australia unique.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”