English Elm From Root Suckers - Again

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

English Elm From Root Suckers - Again

Post by MJL »

Howdy,

Some years back, I dug/cut some root suckers from an English Elm nearby where I live. Now, I have a few clumps of developing Elms and their story is at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=25542&hilit=English+Elm

Earlier this week, I noted that the same trees were throwing up the suckers as they always do and thought, hmmm... I might go back and rescue some before the council mowers arrive to remove their heads again! Why not save a few and continue the experiment. This time, I decided to capture the process in photos to help those beginners or anyone for that matter.

A word of warning, I am at best an intermediate bonsai grower - so I am sure there are better techniques and I am happy to receive feedback. That said, a similar approach worked last time and I am hopeful it will work for this bunch. I thought this photo essay might help other beginners give it a crack when they see a root sucker here or there.

The photos tell the story. I missed a photo cutting out the roots - but you can see the results. I also missed taking a photo of the little roots clumps in a bath of diluted Seasol. Anyway see below. Cheers, Mark
IMG_7290.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpeg
IMG_7292.jpeg
IMG_7293.jpeg
IMG_7294.jpeg
I put the cuttings in a bath of diluted Seasol while I prepared the pots below.
IMG_7300.jpeg
IMG_7297.jpeg
IMG_7298.jpeg
I brushed (with a toothbrush) Rooting gel on exposed area before I placed in pots.
IMG_7299.jpeg
IMG_7303.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MJL on November 12th, 2019, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: English Elm From Root Suckers - Again

Post by Ryceman3 »

Always enjoy checking out what projects people have on the go. English elm are pretty tough generally so I reckon these have every chance. I have plenty of candidates that could perhaps get the same treatment from all the street trees around my place, but that would require room on benches... that I don’t have!
Nice job
:yes:

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”