Repotting Clerodendrum inerme

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Repotting Clerodendrum inerme

Post by toohey »

I have purchased an Clerodendrum inerme (Indian Privet) and it is very pot bound. Can I repot now like English Privet or do I have to wait until late autumn ?
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Repotting Clerodendrum inerme

Post by melbrackstone »

You should first check to see if you've got Clerodendrum heterophyllum, since that's the plant most bonsai people actually have. For some reason C inerme has been used as the name for a long time, but it's incorrect. C. inerme has a rounded fleshier leaf, C. heterophyllum has a soft pointed leaf.

If in fact you do have C. heterophyllum, you should be able to cut some of the root mass away this autumn, but I wouldn't go as hard as you can in Spring. They ARE very hardy, but it will depend on how cool your place is getting now, and will get into Winter. Give it a warm sunny spot throughout the Winter and you will be rewarded with plenty of growth. Then another cut back of roots in Spring should get you where you want to be.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: Repotting Clerodendrum inerme

Post by toohey »

Thank you. Yes I think you are correct, it is C. heterophyllum

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”