Styling advice for a juniper

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Styling advice for a juniper

Post by toohey »

Hi,
I am stuck with knowing which branches to take off to now refine the juniper I have been growing in a very large pot for a number of years .
I'll attach some photos but getting into the trunk is important as it has a great old shape .
Looking forward to your suggestions
8C8191EE-ECFF-4EEC-9623-181A1C483CF1.jpeg
I
FAA309C4-7F1D-4EFB-AE20-EE4F351C249B.jpeg
7BA60449-ED81-4B7D-A759-9A5F6292D1AB.jpeg
D3CFA92E-AEF8-465D-A0F4-17A9E96C1D3F.jpeg
90FE8322-997D-4418-9736-4A0BF6C1D4CA.jpeg
81316C1B-A884-4916-9858-122BE963E51F.jpeg
4EFF9FA5-BF1E-4831-B41A-756F1D0A8708.jpeg
B49AB974-5262-4D7F-802B-288E899395C6.jpeg
15B8E50E-609F-45B2-B680-DF2437C01680.jpeg
352887B1-E829-4556-9C4A-5B0275E9B5A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Styling advice for a juniper

Post by shibui »

It is hard enough to give advice based on 2D photos. Even harder for junipers where we can't see much of the trunk and branches. Really difficult for us older people when the photos are only thumbnail size.
I can see that it seems to have a great trunk and plenty of branches to work with but not much more than that.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

I am sorry and I don't know why my pictures all turned sideways
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

toohey wrote: April 20th, 2020, 6:32 pm I am sorry and I don't know why my pictures all turned sideways
it's not the orientation that is the problem, the file size is to small for any detail. Try to get the files at or above 200k and under 500k.
Peter.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

I have added the photos in a larger size if this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Sizes are much better. well done.
I'm still having much trouble working out where the trunk starts and goes to because of all the branches and foliage so really can't offer any useful help at this stage.
Is there anything that really needs to be removed? I think it looks like the top is one really long thick branch? maybe that could be shortened back to let us see the tree better?
You can see it far better than any of us so maybe you can help with the process. Is there anything you can see that would offer a good bonsai. Do you have any preferences as to the possible shape?
Look at the tree from all sides noting where the trunk moves forward and away. Try tilting the pot to see how the trunk looks at other angles - more upright? More leaning? cascade or semi?

When deciding what to do with a tree I start at the bottom and work up.
1. Nebari - which side looks best? Any other reasonable views of the roots?
2. Trunk - look at it from all sides. Which side gives the best view of the trunk? Also note other reasonable trunk shapes. look for possible spots to reduce the trunk and use branches to give taper and shorter trunk.
3. Branches - where can you see existing branches in good places? 1st and 2nd branches to the sides and a little to the front. back branches for depth. Branches on outside of curves if possible. note with junipers branches are often bent around and through the tree to give pads where they are needed so it is still possible to style a good tree even if all the branches are not in 'ideal' spots.
4. Features - Does the tree have any real attractive features? dead wood, shari, scars, great bends or twists. Look for anything that you just have to show off.
5. faults - identify any aspects that you don't want people to see immediately. Inverse taper, bar branches, scars, etc.

From all that try to pick the best viewing angle. the spot that shows the best of most of the above aspects while minimizing the less attractive features. That process should at least give you a preferred viewing angle - 'front'.
After that it can be easier to work out which branches are important and what trunk angle would make it look good.

Ausbonsai seems to reorient pictures back to the original orientation. Try taking shots in landscape instead of portrait and see if that helps them load right side up.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

Thank you. It is great advice.

I have many trees but have never felt comfortable with Junipers. Some people take to them so readily.

Being a perfectionist and having so many possible options kills me. :fc:
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

This is what I did today. I removed a lot of foliage and some branches and changed the front :
A71EAE3A-703A-4165-97AD-88C3BE0259F2.jpeg
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

A better picture
51426F8F-EE45-49B3-BFA7-42C88729004D.jpeg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Many options does that to lots of people. When I have such a dilemma I now know that making the decision is important. Without a decision the tree cannot progress. When I have several good options and I still can't decide which is best that just means that all are equally good so no need for any more procrastination. If all are equally good it does not matter which you choose. Toss a coin if you need to but just get on as you have here.
Well done on biting the bullet and moving forward. The outcome is a big improvement.

If you can add a side view or both sides and the back we may be able to get a better idea of the depth and 3D movement of trunk and branching now.

I like the branch with the abrupt angle. It breaks up the monotony of all the other standard branches but it currently seems to go behind the first branch. Any chance of moving the bent one so it seems separate? Maybe bend toward the back or back up a bit toward the end?

The rest of the branches appear long and straight. I would get some wire on nearly all branches and make some bends. Trunk has good bends so branches should look better when they look similar :imo: Bends will also shorten long branches and make your tree even more compact.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by toohey »

Thank you Shibui
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by one_bonsai »

I think you've removed too much foliage from the branches and you've ended up with pom poms.

Put some wire on the branches and create some movement. They're far too straight.

I would leave it and let it bush out, then re-asses.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”