Willow leaf ficus advice please

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Willow leaf ficus advice please

Post by Raging Bull »

I've had this willow leaf fig for almost 2 years now, and it seems to be static, frozen in time, if not even going backwards. After buying it I left it in it's original pot for about a year. As it was putting out some new leaves at the tips I left it and watered and fertilized it along with my other trees. over time, as it wasn't putting any growth on I re-potted it and root pruned it, about 25%. I also wired a couple of branches. To date it still hasn't put on growth and the leaves are starting to look a little pale and yellow. Any new growth is only at the very tips of existing branches and very slow to get from the bud stage to an open leaf.
Should I slip re-pot this into a larger "grow pot" to try and induce it to put some growth on? I don't want to grow it much larger, but I would like to develop the shape and have it fill out a bit more. Are willow leaf figs normally very slow growers?
Any advice would be welcome.
2018.07.15 01 e.jpg
2020.04.29 e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Willow leaf ficus advice please

Post by tgward »

don't know anything about these but luv that trunk line
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi RB...Willow leaf fig correct name F.salicaria are generally a very good grower especially with the correct heat and humidy more then some of there ficus brothers, they do well in there origins the Americas ? and where they were really established as suitable Bonsai..Florida USA
Consistant heat and mid to high humidity.

Okay keeping that in mine they hate consitant cold and wet...now looking at your pots/culture..the first pot is quite large and deep, the second quite wide and full of moss, two set ups for the cold and wet.

depth in pots fools a lot to water again too early and a full blanket of moss on a overszed area pot is disaster waitng to happen especially when i can see yellow leaves this early in the season (just before Winter) and the chlorophyll a bit washed out in the leaves.

If mine take the moss off carefully and keep it in dry sunny no wind area and only water when near dry..DO NOT disturb the roots now it is too late now...hope that helps my friend

Anthony
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you for the advice Anthony. :tu: It would not be too cold, I'm on the Gold Coast and we have sub-tropical humid climate. It could well be over watering. I have moved it to a drier spot where the automatic watering system doesn't reach, so now I'll water as you advised.
Cheers, Frank.
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Swedish Bonsai Association

Post by Per PF »

I know it's a bit late but just wanted to chime in: I have a couple of smaller Willow leafs, indoors and I water them when they are almost crispy dry = they grow like gangbusters! (I see new green leafs at all times) So over watering is def. not neccessary. Hope yours got better!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I like what's going on here Frank. Lots! :yes: AW's knowledge and advice, (and designs drawings) re: ficus (and other trees too) is always helpful too.

I do live the little fern leaf (or whatever it is) appearing from the meadow of moss too.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

I had the same problem, similar small willow leaf ficus basically did nothing for two seasons.... Two months ago I repotted it in straight akadama and it was basically like putting the defibrillator on it and restarting its heart. Grown 4 or 5 sets of leaves on most branches already. Might be worth a shot for yours too, or use something similar - just something really draining. :2c:
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for the various snippets of advice on this. The tree is in a drier, warmer position now and I'll leave it until spring before doing any more work on it. It hasn't died yet :fc: and still has slowly developing buds at the tips. Being in Qld, the moss here grows in any spot where it's got a bit of shade and moisture and doesn't mind heat at all. Since the tree has been moved out into a sunnier position the moss has turned dry and crispy, so I've removed it. Mark, the little fern, which has sprung up by itself was also dry and crispy, collateral damage ;) . I have quite a variety of ferns growing around a small pond/water feature and they must put out spores by the million, as I often find ferns of various kinds popping up in my pots or other areas of my garden.
cheers, Frank.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Frank
Slip pot now then again by xmas if its powering on.
I treat mine similar to my ficus bengamina. Both are sensitive and slow growers.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”