wired branches

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

wired branches

Post by tgward »

I'm finding on a few species ,wired thinner branches are dying off.I use copper coated aluminium.Just wondering if the wire is over thick and gets too hot in summer and cooks the branch --do some plants not like copper? any ideas? thanks
Fengz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSWA

Re: wired branches

Post by Fengz »

I’ve been told by a friend who has practiced Bonsai for many years that copper can be detrimental to our trees in the direct Sun of summer, he himself uses copper but in a greenhouse.

I personally didn’t see any harm to my trees even in the extremely hot Perth sun but at the time only had a small amount of trees, I have since turned to Aluminium wire and find it easier to work with which is also a bonus, tree makers have a great deal on a bundle pack just be warned the postage is very slow (well it was to WA anyway)

Hope this helps.!!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Double post. How do I remove it?
Last edited by treeman on June 2nd, 2020, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

tgward wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 7:41 am I'm finding on a few species ,wired thinner branches are dying off.I use copper coated aluminium.Just wondering if the wire is over thick and gets too hot in summer and cooks the branch --do some plants not like copper? any ideas? thanks
What kind of tree? Is it strong or weak? Do you move the branch and then move it again? Wiring weakens any branch. It damages the cambium layer which must be allowed to heal. Some bark is very thin and easily destroyed. If the wire is too thick for the branch it will damage it more than if the correct size is used because you cannot feel it bend. If it is wired too tightly it will damage the bark. If it is wired too loosely you can easily damage the branch because it does not have the correct support when you bend it. If you wire with a steep pitch you can cut off the sap flow. If you wire weak thin branches you can kill them. If you wire a weak branch and there are stronger ones around it, it will likely die. If you remove too many leaves or needles from a weak branch it will get weaker. Leave the weak thin branches without wire until they are strong enough to handle it.
It's not the copper or the ''cooking''
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with Treeman. It is not the copper wire causing the problem. Much more likely operator error.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi tg,
As someone who generally doesn't use copper wire (perhaps only 3% of the time and mainly due to affordability and the nature of the trees I am wiring) - I can tell you that plenty of branches have died with my aluminium wire... :whistle: :( Therefore, I am in the operator error camp. My fails - which are plenty - are usually on Shimpaku or other Juniper strangely enough. Generally where I have used poor technique and had to bend and re-bend and/or almost imperceptibly split a branch away from the juncture of another branch (or perhaps even that is misdiagnosed) or seemingly, strangled the life out of thinner or weaker branches. I am getting better at planning and thinking about wiring before I add the wire... ... supporting branches as I bend and wiring so that the direct of the wiring allows me to sort of twist/bend ... crap desertion but I know what I am trying to say. :lol:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

so much to ponder--thanks blokes

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”