Trident transplant (ground to pot)

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Trident transplant (ground to pot)

Post by shibui »

Question: turning the tree??? To evenly get sun all the way around? All year round? Never done that with my smaller ones, should I?
Trees need light on all sides to stay healthy. If they are not turned regularly the branches on the shady side get weak. In extreme cases all the back branches (usually it is the back against the wall) die.
You don't need to take my word for it. Have a really close look at trees that have been growing in one position and you will probably be able to see some slight differences in health and vitality of the branches on the shadier side.

I try to remember to turn my bonsai 180 deg every week or 2. Won't matter so much in the winter when deciduous have no leaves and even evergreens are growing so slowly it probably won't affect them much but it is good to get into a routine.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Most of mine are quite small, and "the front" is North facing, so I should pay more atention to their "backs". Will check them tomorrow.

I might look funny to the neighbours if I'm out there spinning around with the big tree, might wear my tux and say I'm practising my tango! Hahaha.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

I have a few plants in the ground and have their ‘fronts’ away from the sun. I figure the front will be more open to see the trunk line in the final design so not too worried if the south facing side away from the sun gets a bit sparse.
That’s the theory anyway… ….until the front becomes the back and then who knows.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have a few plants in the ground and have their ‘fronts’ away from the sun. I figure the front will be more open to see the trunk line in the final design so not too worried if the south facing side away from the sun gets a bit sparse.
I often do this with trees in development where I know I won't get time to turn them. Developing groups and single trees can have 'fronts' close together so that the other outside trees/ branches ramify better.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

shibui wrote:There's probably enough growth on that to layer if you want to. Not sure I'd bother to layer off a slingshot fork with 2 equally thick, straight trunks but others will see it different and if you think it looks good go for it.
Ha! That’s me, I’d totally layer it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Another quick photo montage update, with a mini-pallet, some wheels, boards and nails, my daughter and I fashioned this "pot". Following advice on the forums here, we painted it to ensure it lasts ... my creative director thought best to paint each side for each season, using the colours of the rainbow ... as I explained we should be rotating the tree around for increased energy/sun exposure. Aiming to repot next weekend (then air layer the fork off near end of Spring, tree permitting).

Note for next time: paint first, then nail in the mesh at the bottom!

P.S Other daughter came out and also wanted to make a pot, hence the smaller one to the side. Could be good for my first attempt as kusamono?
20210626_161149_bathee_pot_painted_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

For those following along ... just "re-potted" this 'large format trident'. Surprised how root bound it was!!!

It took me almost 3 hours to "cut" the lower half away, after ruining my saw, then hack saw (in desperation), then time for my hatchet to come out of the wood work to shine, and shine it did! Would never have finished without it. My daughter tried jumping on the roots to break it away when half way through, she thought it hilarious to be "jumping on bonsai roots to break them off".

Didn't have enough soil, this was 1 and a half bags, so I ended up putting some of the old soil back on top, figured/hope old soil is better than exposed roots.

Managed to save the three tiny branches near the base, hope one becomes a primary branch when I attempt to air layer the fork off later in the year. Only snapped of three tiny upper branches, so pleased with the process, though I'll be sore tomorrow!!!

Might go out an tie it down tomorrow, my usual twine wasn't doing anything, and it feels a little loose in the soil. Might have to resort to rope.

Also, to experiment, thre large/palm sized chunk of roots, from the lower half which was removed, was potted up, curious to see if it shoots new growth, lots of tiny fibrous roots.

- Daniel

P.S Usual phone photo collage below (top left: fresh out of the pot, then started root and soil removal, top right final image, and main image the success after hours of chopping) ...
20210717_161333_bathee_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

For those following along, this tree (aka "bathee" as my kids named her) has sprung into spring!
20210920_bathee_lowres.jpg
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

Go bathee!
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Wow that transition from root to trunk looks stunning...have you considered doing a formal upright from this? Would look stunning with that kind of trunk in autumn colours. Challenge however would be to get a tapered top. Just a thought as you shape bathee.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

It's air layering time!!! Just setup the air layer, took these photos then did a bit more clean up if the cambium. Not sure I have anough moss, that's three big bags worth (aka all I had bought). Hoping to get a nice layer with the fork just above (bit hard to see from these pics):
20211103_air_layer.jpg
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Quick update: I wasn't convinced my air layering was great. Inspected it today, could see it starting to callus up in a few places, trying to re-bridge the gap int he layer.

Only a few spots but cleaned it all back, with a blade then sand paper for good measure, re-applied a better mix of fresh rooting hormone/powder, applied some tape to help slow any future bridging, squeezed out the excess moisture I was worried about in the moss, re-packed it all in and hoping it's in a better position now!

Am a bit concerned about some tips of the branches, some red leaves are new growth, some look like the leaves at autumn time, it stressed maybe.

Anyone think I should trim back some of the branches in the top part?

Standard photo collage below:
20211125_lowres.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Leave the top part. Any trimming of foliage above the layer is just reducing energy accumulation that could be used by the tree to create new roots, the more foliage the better. It doesn’t look awful to me… it’s a big layer, hope it eventually works out for you! :fc:
:beer:

PS: I’m not 100% sure how effective the tape will be in stopping any bridging, but there’s no doubt you’ve applied enough rooting hormone! :P
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Thanks Ryceman3!!!

I think I was confusing myself, thinking it's similar to a repot, but recall not touching the top last time I air layered branches off this tree.

Good to be reminded: "more leaves, more energy for the roots"!

Guessing I'll know more by the end of summer, though it'll be hard to see roots. Might even need a few seasons before separating I guess, will let "bathee" tell me when is the right time. Hahaha.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Well, seems something is definitely happening in the top half, above the layer ... "all the leaves are, all the leaves are red ... and the sky is gray" ... haha.

Looks like it's dropping most of the older leaves, and the newish leaves are doing "something" (aka holding on).

Guessing the tree is balancing out the required leaf/roots ratio naturally.

Not going to do much now but wait and watch, and keep an eye that the sphagnum moss isn't staying too wet.

Standard collage below:
20211216_lowres.jpg

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”