Mixed Bag

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Mixed Bag

Post by Raging Bull »

Didn't know which section to post this in so here it is. Just a couple of spring subjects.
The first is my english oaks, grown from seed. This spring they are doing really well, with vigorous growth happening even after having been pruned back twice this spring already.
DSC_0032e.JPG
My callistemon citrinus angela has come out with beautiful flowers. This has been left in its plastic grow-pot with enlarged drain holes and then set into the ground in my front garden.
DSC_0029e.JPG
I also have a couple of banksias, one of which I'm attempting to grow as a cascade. It's a b. integrifolia prostrate, and I think its almost time to put it into a proper pot. I like the leaves on this one, they are naturally about half the length of usual banksia leaves.
DSC_0030e.JPG
Love spring time when everything takes off again after the dormancy period.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Mixed Bag

Post by Brekel »

Looking good. Spring is certainly an exciting time, waiting and watching all the new growth.

When did you plant the english oaks? I started a few this year.

Brett.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Brekel, I have several of the oaks left after giving some away to members of our G.C. & Tweed Bonsai Club. I collected a couple of dozen acorns while on a visit to S.A. in April 2018. I planted them in plastic pots and by July 2018 all except a couple were germinating, which was a surprise. I didn't expect anything to happen until spring, must be the mild winters here in Qld. They grow well, but are susceptible to powdery mildew in our climate. I've put a few bends in them and pruned back hard last winter. After that they developed good buds which opened quite early in spring.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Brekel »

I put 5 in back in autumn, this is them now.
One came up much earlier than the others, and was repotted into a bigger pot. It slowed down with the tap root prune, but took off a month later. The others need to be moved but I've been a but busy on other projects.
The little three- trunk one will be interesting as it develops.
20201127_194457 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”