Japanese Maples advice please.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Sam92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Japanese Maples advice please.

Post by Sam92 »

20210101_182610_resized (1).jpg
20210101_182638_resized (1).jpg
20210101_182840_resized (1).jpg
Hi all, I have this Japanese maple stock and I really like the nebari on it. I'm deciding on styles at the moment and I think I am leaning towards developing the right hand branch and making a twin trunk. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

My main question regards producing back-budding. I have pruned over 50% of the upper foliage in hope of budding a new leader out of the lower node (where the yellow line is and an eventual chop on the red). Would this be enough or should I prune harder? Also if so have I missed my opportunity timing wise? (I live in Perth).

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Sam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Japanese Maples advice please.

Post by shibui »

I agree that this has good rootage and a nice thick trunk but the main trunk is a bit long and straight so I agree with your plan for a twin trunk.
I think there is still too much foliage on that taller trunk to be confident of buds at that node. I would reduce the top much more to frighten it into starting new buds. You should be able to safely leave just a couple of leaves on that side and still be pretty sure of it surviving. I don't think it is too late in the season to chop maples. You should still get buds to form and should also get some growth but not as much as pruning earlier.
If you still don't get buds there another avenue would be approach or thread grafting to get a shoot exactly where you want it but that would take a few years to grow shoots to graft and then another year or so to get the graft to heal.

I can't see any other shorter term ideas.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Japanese Maples advice please.

Post by Sam92 »

Thanks very much. I appreciate it, will reduce it down.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”