dry trees

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

dry trees

Post by shibui »

Last week I noticed some tips wilting on a few trees in the nursery. Further investigation found one of the irrigation lines had popped off at a join so a whole bench had not been getting water. Fortunately we had some cooler weather and some rain so the damage was not as bad as it could have been. The bench affected is also the one with mostly smaller starters in 11 and 15 cm pots.

Worst affected are larger trees in smaller pots like these crab apples
IMGP2072.JPG
There is also a pattern of worse affected trees where the sprays don't quite overlap so those ones were probably just a little dry even before the irrigation malfunction. Here you can see green trees all round a small patch of brown Chinese elms.
IMGP2073.JPG
IMGP2071.JPG
Initially they look pretty bad
but there's still some green leaves on most
IMGP2074.JPG
IMGP2075.JPG
and even the worst looking ones have some green buds.

For those who are yet to experience bonsai drought all is not lost if you see the signs in time. First aid must be administered immediately. Soak affected pots in a tub of water overnight to properly rehydrate the entire root ball. I then just put the tree back where it belongs and wait for new leaves to open.

I have trimmed some of the worst affected trees a bit. This won't help them recover but it will make the new shoots a bit closer to the trunks so they will at least look a bit neater when they do start to grow.
IMGP2076.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: dry trees

Post by Josh »

That's a bugger mate. I used to have irrigation but after finding the dogs chewing off the spray heads and trees not getting watered I went back to hand watering (not an option for you I know) The other thing with hand watering is I get to see the trees that need wire removed (doesn't always mean I do it :palm: ) It's amazing how a tree can bounce back.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”