Does anyone use an antitranspirant?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Does anyone use an antitranspirant?

Post by greg27 »

I came across a (non-bonsai) Facebook post the other day that mentioned antitranspirants, a product that you spray on the leaves of your plants to reduce water loss. I couldn't find many references to this in relation to bonsai, and am wondering if anyone uses something like this (eg. Yates DroughtShield) when collecting or repotting?

On paper it sounds good - reduce water loss so you give the plant more of a chance to survive a root reduction.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Does anyone use an antitranspirant?

Post by legoman_iac »

Assume you'd use a tiny bottle to apply it? Hehehe. Interesting product, curious to hear from the group! Though I find my soil drying out is the bigger issue, especially with seedlings. Sometimes I cover the pots with shade cloth, keeping the branches exposed.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mmm ... interesting. Know nothing about this kind of product, but it got me thinking...
My very basic understanding is that transpiration helps to cool a plant but also the loss of water is a product of the stomata on the leaves opening to take in carbon dioxide to be used in photosynthesis. So I assume the antitranspirant somehow blocks the stomata from opening?? Also, the action of transpiration draws nutrients etc up from the roots I think.
If so ... how does that impact the ability of the plant to function I wonder, and then whether that would be a good thing, particularly after a shock/event like collection or heavy repot.
I don't have any answers - that's just what popped into my head! :P
:beer:
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Ryceman3 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:07 pm If so ... how does that impact the ability of the plant to function I wonder, and then whether that would be a good thing, particularly after a shock/event like collection or heavy repot.
Yep that's what I'm wondering. The plant does all these things for a reason, but of course we're messing with the plant already by root pruning / collecting / taking cuttings / etc. I can't find anything scientific to say whether it's helpful or not - maybe an experiment with some cuttings could be useful.
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

Ryceman3 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:07 pm My very basic understanding is that transpiration helps to cool a plant but also the loss of water is a product of the stomata on the leaves opening to take in carbon dioxide to be used in photosynthesis. So I assume the antitranspirant somehow blocks the stomata from opening?? Also, the action of transpiration draws nutrients etc up from the roots I think.
If so ... how does that impact the ability of the plant to function I wonder, and then whether that would be a good thing, particularly after a shock/event like collection or heavy repot.
I agree, interesting concept but I have similar concerns. Transpiration drives the whole drawing of water and nutrients to the leaves from the roots. Reducing this suggests reducing root activity. Photosynthesis is not as important short term as this stops overnight anyway. How long does this treatment last?
Stu
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Swedish Bonsai Association

Post by Per PF »

Stu wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Ryceman3 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:07 pm My very basic understanding is that transpiration helps to cool a plant but also the loss of water is a product of the stomata on the leaves opening to take in carbon dioxide to be used in photosynthesis. So I assume the antitranspirant somehow blocks the stomata from opening?? Also, the action of transpiration draws nutrients etc up from the roots I think.
I agree, interesting concept but I have similar concerns. Transpiration drives the whole drawing of water and nutrients to the leaves from the roots. Reducing this suggests reducing root activity.
According to this book (that is supposedly based on scientific evidence) that is exactly what happens, suggesting that it is not good:
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_4012.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Thanks for that Per, I think that covers it. I've done some brief reading of some scientific articles (how's that for a Friday night) and it sounds like antitranspirants can be useful in helping an established plant withstand drought, but they're not ideal when you actually want the plant to be growing.

I did find one study that showed that an antitranspirant resulted in shorter internodes and smaller leaves, so maybe antitranspirants could have a place in the refinement of bonsai! https://journals.ashs.org/downloadpdf/j ... e-p222.pdf
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Very interesting information but where do you buy it and what is the product name.?
Is it available at nurseries or garden centres.?
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Alan Peck wrote: March 6th, 2021, 8:45 am Very interesting information but where do you buy it and what is the product name.?
Is it available at nurseries or garden centres.?
There's one, Yates DroughtShield, which is available at Woolies. Looks like that and a few other brands are available at various nurseries.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”