Tree broken fall: Tale of a strong Mame

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Tree broken fall: Tale of a strong Mame

Post by legoman_iac »

In a daze today, I stumbled and nearly twisted my ankle ... this poor little mame attempt of a Ficus broke my fall and saved me, with most of my weight landing on it via my hand. I was surprised it faired so well, then noticed the trunk nearly snapped off. I've applied some basic first aid, some masking tape and cable tie ... hoping this is good enough to help heal a break? Also, soil was quite disturbed, roots loosened, have carefully watered it. Anything else to help it, greatly appreciated!!!
fig_mame_fall.jpg
- Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Tree broken fall: Tale of a strong Mame

Post by Akhi »

As it’s a ficus, why don’t you pot it deep to submerge the area where it broke off in soil. This will result in rooting at the cut zone and you can then wind that down the trunk to give an aged look?
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Oooo, great idea!! Might try that with my other figs ... though this trunk is only about 5mm wide, roots might be just as thick, haha.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is a ficus. Virtually bomb proof. Someone once suggested that 2 ficus just left in the same room are likely to graft together without any help. There's a pretty good chance that your broken trunk will heal up.
Even if the top does not survive this break I don't think it will be a bad thing. The current trunk is fairly long for the thickness. I would probably have chopped it down lower before now and worked with the shoots that grow from the stump to make the small bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”