PLS HELP - Port Jackson Fig SOS

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
BonsaiBaby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 0

PLS HELP - Port Jackson Fig SOS

Post by BonsaiBaby »

Hi,

I'm still new to bonsai stuff - I've had my little port Jackson fig for just over a year, and it was apparently 2y/o when I got it last Christmas. It was going so well for so long. I had new leaves and everything. Then I left it in NSW with my parents for 3 months while I moved to QLD. I just got it back and it's a bare stick! It's still alive (the stick is bendy and feels green) but it has lost all of its leaves and I don't know how to bring it back to good health :(
any ideas? It's living on a windowsill with about an hour of morning sun atm. Was living on a verandah with 4ish hours of afternoon sun at parents' place.

Will post photo if that will help a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Cheers
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: PLS HELP - Port Jackson Fig SOS

Post by shibui »

Ausbonsai only accepts photos under 1Mb file size but a photo could be a great help.

How long has it been without leaves?
is it likely to have been dry at some stage or more likely that it was kept really wet for an extended period?

If a fig has no leaves it generally means it has not been watered for some time. First aid for that is soak the pot in a tub of water immediately to get the roots properly wet. Leave it overnight to rehydrate hydrophobic dry soil.
Then just continue care - good light, probably more than an hour of sun would be good if possible, provided it does not get too hot while the sun is on it.
Water whenever the soil starts to get dry. Dig down with a finger to check below the surface or leave a wooden skewer in the soil to monitor moisture below the surface. Watering as soon as the top dries can be too much as it is often still wet below and that's not good for roots.

It is likely to take a few weeks at least for the tree to start growing new shoots so please be patient with your little tree. It is possible to kill a fig but not really easy. Figs can survive almost anything.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I would say it has probably dried out. I agree with Shibui that figs are tough and it's probably still got some life in it. A photo would definitely help us give better advice, as well as a location in your profile. This helps to tailor advice. If you are in Tasmania, Sydney, Brisbane, Netherlands or Fiji advice would be very different.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi and welcome. It needs to be outside and it needs sun all day. Give it some seasol and make sure you are watering it correctly. It may be rootbound and not taking up sufficient water. Photo would definitely help.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”