Question of sunlight through glass

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Question of sunlight through glass

Post by The other Ryan »

Hi all.

Just hoping to get some advice on the mentioned topic.

Obviously our trees receiving sunlight through glass isn’t optimal but is there a particular distance away from glass so the foliage won’t suffer burn?

I’ve moved recently and have a large balcony. The top half of the glass has sliding windows that come half way down and gets good airflow. To the right of the attached photo is an open staircase that is also open to the elements so the balcony is not completed enclosed. They get light from sunrise til early afternoon.

Any advice would be great! Thank you
4E66607F-F775-4459-A59B-C722636CC716.jpeg
:fc: :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Question of sunlight through glass

Post by Watto »

Unfortunately I dodn't know the answer to your question, but just wanted that is a neat set up.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Unfortunately I dodn't know the answer to your question, but just wanted that is a neat set up.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus atlantica
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Harshadg »

Unless the panes are curved and are focusing the light at certain places, it’s not clear to me why there’l should be a problem with housing the plants anywhere inside. As long as your glass transmits visible wavelengths of light (as most untreated glass does) you shouldn’t have any problem on that front either. With these two considerations, it really shouldn’t matter where you place the pots. Maybe you want to make sure the foliage doesn’t touch the glass in case the glass heats up.

Your setup looks very neat!

Cheers,
H
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

Harshadg wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:39 am Unless the panes are curved and are focusing the light at certain places, it’s not clear to me why there’l should be a problem with housing the plants anywhere inside. As long as your glass transmits visible wavelengths of light (as most untreated glass does) you shouldn’t have any problem on that front either. With these two considerations, it really shouldn’t matter where you place the pots. Maybe you want to make sure the foliage doesn’t touch the glass in case the glass heats up.

Your setup looks very neat!

Cheers,
H
Thanks for the reply H. There’s enough room for me to walk between the glass and the stands comfortably so there’s no foliage touching glass. I guess I just monitor closely and see how they fair
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

Watto wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:03 am Unfortunately I dodn't know the answer to your question, but just wanted that is a neat set up.
No worries Watto! It’s a bit bigger space than what I had in Queanbeyan. A nice upgrade from a front step with 4 trees on it haha
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

At that distance I wouldn't be concerned about burning, but worth keeping in mind is sunlight through glass isn't the same as direct sunlight due to reflection/diffusion, so growth and plant health might be set back a little vs the plants being in an outdoor setting. Hard to say by how much though!
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

greg27 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 9:51 am At that distance I wouldn't be concerned about burning, but worth keeping in mind is sunlight through glass isn't the same as direct sunlight due to reflection/diffusion, so growth and plant health might be set back a little vs the plants being in an outdoor setting. Hard to say by how much though!
Thanks Greg. I know a lot of modern glass now had UV protection on it so I’m unsure how that might effect growth. The balcony glass doesn’t appear to have any tint applied like front door has which is all glass too. If worst comes to worse they will just have to go back to my parents property, which will suck but I’d rather they not fade away just so I can look at them :(
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

The other Ryan wrote: May 16th, 2021, 9:56 am Thanks Greg. I know a lot of modern glass now had UV protection on it so I’m unsure how that might effect growth. The balcony glass doesn’t appear to have any tint applied like front door has which is all glass too. If worst comes to worse they will just have to go back to my parents property, which will suck but I’d rather they not fade away just so I can look at them :(
I reckon you'll be fine, it's a nice little setup in front of some large windows. Just keep an eye on things and if you notice the plants are lacking in vigour you could look into supplemental lighting or something. There's a thread on here where someone's pretty successfully growing a casuarina in Sweden so anything's possible!
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

At this time of year you will have no problem with burning etc.. just make sure to turn the trees every few weeks to ensure even growth. Come summer my may need to rethink their position as hot sun on windows can magnify the heat.
If you see that happening it’s easy to go get some light bamboo screens and stand them against the glass to filter the magnified heat. Windows facing North and West in summer will be the worst especially in the afternoons.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

KIRKY wrote: May 16th, 2021, 10:20 am At this time of year you will have no problem with burning etc.. just make sure to turn the trees every few weeks to ensure even growth. Come summer my may need to rethink their position as hot sun on windows can magnify the heat.
If you see that happening it’s easy to go get some light bamboo screens and stand them against the glass to filter the magnified heat. Windows facing North and West in summer will be the worst especially in the afternoons.
Cheers
Kirky
Summer will be interesting, the windows on the balcony are all down now and there’s a nice breeze coming through. I think when we get the typical Canberra summer temps of +30 I may need to move back further and as you mention look at getting some screening or perhaps shade cloth I can rig up to diffuse the harshness.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”