Watering

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
stevemg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Watering

Post by stevemg »

What’s the reason behind having to keep bonsai moist
Cheers
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Watering

Post by KIRKY »

Basically to keep it a live.
Bonsai are in small containers, unlike trees in the garden the roots can’t go looking for water.
When you say “moist” it’s not a term I particularly like, as this leads to newbies misting thinking that’s enough to keep bonsai a live. Misting doesn’t keep trees alive. Trees in summer heat generally require water every day, some days a couple of times a day depending on where you live and heat of the day. Bonsai should be watered thoroughly with enough water to allow water to drain from the bonsai pots. Less water is required during the colder months and even less for deciduous trees during winter. Trees should be allowed to “JUST” dry out before watering. Therefore your trees need to be monitored some trees will use more others less pending on size of pots, trees and position in the garden being full sun, semi shade etc…..
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
stevemg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by stevemg »

Thank you for your reply it makes sense
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Too much water can drown the roots or allow diseases to grow in the pot which can kill roots.
Not enough water and the plants dehydrate and die of thirst. watering well means getting water right into the centre of the pot. Light watering through summer lets the centre dry out and each day the dry area gets bigger until the tree cannot get enough water. Always water enough to thoroughly wet the entire root ball. Easy to say but that can take time to learn how.

Kirky mentioned watering enough so that water runs out of the pot. This is necessary to remove excess fertilizer and waste products which can build up and become toxic if not flushed away.
Watering well also pushes out old air and draws in fresh air because air is important for soil life and roots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

What are your Spring watering tips? I'll list what I do down below - please feel free to correct me if I'm doing something wrong or if you know any helpful tips.

I'm in Melbourne weather.

I've been going through in the morning and doing a thorough drench / soak (unless it's been raining).

In the early afternoon, I water anything that has dried out on top (I top-dress with shredded sphagnum) + spray foliage.

A few hours before sunset I'll lightly water anything that has a dried out top, but avoid wetting foliage.

I take it as a sign that a tree doesn't "need" water if the bench underneath it is still wet (esp. for pines).

My mixes vary: pines in refinement get 1:1:1:1 pine bark:pumice:scoria:sand (3-5mm particle size), most other trees in shallow pots get 1:1:1 pine:pumice:scoria, everything else in early development is 80/20 sand/pine or perlite/coir.

I figure with the mixes I'm using I can water fairly liberally without worry - at least this year when everything is freshly repotted. Not sure how that will go a few years down the track.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”