What trees should I move out of the wet weather?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
NSB001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Na

What trees should I move out of the wet weather?

Post by NSB001 »

Due to the extremely wet weather on the east coast lately ( we’ll all summer has been wet and cloudy) but I’m 2 weeks into rain every day. With another week forecast. I am concerned about root rot. I have good draining soil in most of my pots. I know some trees don’t like wet feet for along time. Which trees should I put under cover for a break from the rain?
I have most types of trees.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: What trees should I move out of the wet weather?

Post by melbrackstone »

I just moved the ones I could. You can also put a brick under each one to help it drain more quickly. Now that the worst has gone from here in Brisbane I've put them out again, but the ones on a slant will stay that way for another day or so.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: What trees should I move out of the wet weather?

Post by dansai »

Im just south of Coffs and I know what you mean by wet.

Natives - most will be loving it, maybe not grevilleas? I have a big "pond" about 70mm deep I put plants in when they dehydrate as well as some stock Melaleucas I leave in there. I have left a few other natives in to see how they would respond and they all grow like crazy.

Deciduous - may appreciate a break. They won't be transpiring much and so won't suck the water up

Pines - My Black pines cope with heavy watering. The idea of keeping them a bit dry is more to do with controlling growth than them not being able to cope. And also older media that probably contained a lot of soil. I have a few young red pines that didn't like being too wet from watering. They are in nursery pots and a pretty heavy mix that's broken down a fair bit. I don't water them as much now and they all perked up. However all this rain hasn't bothered them as yet. Rain seems to affect a lot of plants differently than watering. Not sure why. My natives particularly grow a lot faster with lots of rain.

Junipers - should be fine this time of year. They are still growing strongly and will use plenty of water. I often keep an eye on mine during warmer weather as they seem to dry out very rapidly. They are all very healthy very bushy stock plants though.

The other thing to consider is if they are in Bonsai pots or plastic. Plastic nursery containers usually have far better drainage and more depth to them which keeps the upper areas of the pot with more air space. Shallow bonsai pots could just be a swimming pool with this much constant rain, even with well drained media and good drainage holes. Hence why they get tilted as Mel mentioned to all more water to drain and air into the mix.

Good luck. Stay Safe. And keep dry if you can.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”