Mycorrhizae in soil

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Mycorrhizae in soil

Post by Raging Bull »

I thought I'd share this as it's not very often we see pictures of it.
I was re-potting a pinus halepinses (Aleppo or Jerusalem pine) today and when I took it out of the training pot it was in I found that the roots and potting mix were saturated with mycorrhizae. I wanted to share this as I know that some people panic when they see their soil full of this micro- organism. If you do find it, be grateful, it's beneficial to pinus species, having a symbiotic relationship with them. I removed some of the soil and inoculated all the other pots with pines that I have.
DSC_0001e.JPG
DSC_0002e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Mycorrhizae in soil

Post by shibui »

I would be surprised if the other pots don't already have it. I've found that myc spreads well all by itself and I find it in isolated seed trays after just 6 months and I certainly did not put any in there so In don't bother to inoculate any more. If you provide suitable conditions myc will turn up and thrive.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”