Hard water help!

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Hard water help!

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hi everyone!

Brand new to the forums and have just started bonsai. Really excited to be here and am enjoying bonsai thoroughly. On to the question!

I live in Perth and my tap water is super hard. So much so I lost 3 azaleas and my potted Japanese maple is just so sick every year from the tap water. I’m wondering if anyone can suggest what I can do?

I know a rainwater tank is ideal but, I do not have the space! So far I’ve resorted to using a Brita water filter jug for my Japanese maple and satsuki azaleas however, I hear that this does not remove calcium/lime which seems to be the killer. Would this filtered water still help?

I know distilled water contains no nutrients but, is it possible to use that and add nutrients to the water and if so what should I add?

I’m very new and I love bonsai specifically Japanese maples and satsuki azaleas yet, I’m worried they will get sick again this summer with the water and eventually die. My Japanese maple thrived in Perth when I had access to a rainwater tank but now, it loses its leaves very early in summer and is just so unwell.

Any help would be so thoroughly appreciated!
Mickey

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”